Website Coding

pieman

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm making a website in June/July for people to track me when i'm on holiday.

For this I would like to them to go onto a page which shows a certain image (and if possible text) depending on the date and time that they are viewing it, I wouldn't bother about this but since I can't and don't want to update the site while i'm on holiday there isn't really any other way.

All help appriciated :)

Sounds like you need a calender system of some sort, or perhaps a Blog with pre-programmed posts. I made this for a FishForums user the other day:

http://www.sharphorizon.com/clare

... shes not got back to me, so the space can be yours if you want it :p I can show you how to pre-program posts and get better designs.

Space isn't really a problem since I have quite a large spot on a server but thanks for the offer :)

At the moment i'm looking for anything as me and my friend have no idea how to do something like this :)

well, if youve got hosting then you could install practically any open source blog type piece of software. The one I linked uses WordPress - you could download and install that on the server.

its not difficult. I find that the biggest problem with convincing people that webmastery = easy is that, most of the time, people just dont believe me. You need:

A mySql database and PHP installed on the server. WordPress comes with detailed installation instructions.

Even better - if you have a server that runs cPanel, then you will (99 times in 100) have Fantastic. WordPress comes as a default Fantastico installation package - just go into Fantastico, find WordPress and hit install! That website I linked is done in exactly that way :)

If you need help getting tables or the database configured give me a shout in PM and Ill help you out as best I can.

Share the love, share the code! Open Source works as well as the stuff you pay for and its free :D

people like yabbers.com enable you to set up free forums like this..

That way, you could add to it, link photos and get decent feedback from family and friends.. you just open it to them and not the general public.. that way its private, and others cant access it unless you add them.. You could have one open access part of the forum for other friends to apply for membership..

Just a thought.. bit of fun too.. good place for you to keep up with what they are doing too.

Squid

if its coding your after you will need to learn how to use them, you can learnhere

Hmm...I'm not entirely sure, as I actually have no idea how to use it, but would using MacromediaFlash be any good?

You could use a world map picture and use action scripting or something to do it? I know SirM knows how to use it, so you could ask him to help you. Fortuantely, I also know of a few (actually, a lot) of extremely talented flash artists, so I'll ask them if you want!

Most reactions

Back