Web inaccuracy

GaryE

Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Oct 14, 2011
Messages
11,297
Reaction score
20,585
Points
113
Location
Eastern Canada
This more an observation than anything, but I spent part of the early hours this morning researching some pretty obscure African barbs and tetras. What I noticed in the googling was a large percentage of the fish I already knew had photos that simply couldn't be them. Some seemed to be from hobbysits who genuinely thought they had the right fish - honest errors in a world without peer editors.
Some were puzzling, because the photos were of radically different species. I was digging into micro fish of the rarely aquarium fished nation of Benin, in West Africa, and I got images of Asian fish or large fish in their places. A lot of these were sellers being either lazy or crooked.

Fish, like news, need to be looked at from several sites with several perspectives.
 
This more an observation than anything, but I spent part of the early hours this morning researching some pretty obscure African barbs and tetras. What I noticed in the googling was a large percentage of the fish I already knew had photos that simply couldn't be them. Some seemed to be from hobbysits who genuinely thought they had the right fish - honest errors in a world without peer editors.
Some were puzzling, because the photos were of radically different species. I was digging into micro fish of the rarely aquarium fished nation of Benin, in West Africa, and I got images of Asian fish or large fish in their places. A lot of these were sellers being either lazy or crooked.

Fish, like news, need to be looked at from several sites with several perspectives.
Did you find consistency in the site that had incorrect information ? Personally I think you should list all the sites with bad information so everyone can blacklist them ;)
 
I'm not looking at information, but at photo identification. All came from google searches. These were not well known species, but I was curious about what they looked like. It may be that AI here stands for Aquatic Ignorance.

The few texts I found were fine.

I can follow some conversations in Italian, as I lived in an Italian immigrant neighbourhood as a kid. When I drive and people annoy me, my Italian swearing is excellent. But I can't really comment on the quality of sites.
 
Last edited:
They are in italian ;) I'm sure people know Italian but i'm a person and this person does not.
you can use chrome translator to get web pages translated, i use it a lot for german, chinese, etc. it's not perfect but understandable
 
I also worked with Italian construction workers in my youth and have a bit of a specific vocabulary. Good people!

I suspect the nuances of fish ID may be in many cases too subtle for the current crop of AI
 
I suspect the nuances of fish ID may be in many cases too subtle for the current crop of AI
Agreed, but this clearly doesn't stop them from trying. Don't spend 30 bucks on a technicolour beauty only to discover the real fish is beige! Dig deeper! Don't be a (insert Italian phrase of your choice).

Many years ago I sold an article to an Italian aquarium magazine, which translated it to print it. It looked great, much more exotic than the original English. I read to myself it out loud and thought I sounded very into the subject.
 
Oh do NOT get me going on the overall decline of web search results. All personal sites seem to no longer exist, searches, regardless of which engine you use, are all garbage sites that don't even seem to be human made, etc etc etc... This has been happening for YEARS now... Fish related sites are horrible, especially ones that rank products.
 
Putting aside the systems they operate in, I would love to be able to go on the Chinese internet and see how their fish sites are. I'm hearing that they have the fastest growing fish hobby out there, and from experience, the equipment they sell can be very good quality.
I imagine everything that can be monetized is, like here. The internet looked so promising before it fell under control, whether of parties, or corporations. I expect AI in everyday computer stuff to be very destructive, since it belongs to people with a clear agenda. AI will be great in medicine, sciences needing data analysis, etc.
For the hobby, it's going to be the greatest chain store fish catcher ever seen.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top