Water wisteria

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Craiglufc

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I purchased some water wisteria, to give my tank a nice dense planted area, while being easy to maintain. I planted it in a circle around my divers helmet ornament and after a couple of months it looked amazing. The ornament was buried in bushy, bright green water wisteria. Now I've noticed the wisteria is turning brown and looking alot less healthy. My parameters are bang on and I use liquid fertiliser once a week. I was wondering if there's anything I can do to bring my wisteria back to the glowing, healthy green colour. I don't really want to cut it and replant it as I have my tank exactly how I wanted it (minus the poorly looking leaves). Any help would be appreciated 👍👍
20220502_145809.jpg

What type of ligh do you use? And some seem to have bites on them, do you have fish that do that, or snails?

Personally, I'm still learning to deal with plants, but I quickly learned that light adjustment is key. Also, I use flourish for my tanks, but instead of a weekly dose I divided it on a close daily estimate, that seems to be more balanced too.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I use a 4.8w led light which I run for about 7/8 hours per day. I do have armano shrimp but they won't eat healthy leaves, I have a nerite snail too but again, I don't think they eat them neither. None of my fish eat plants. It grew incredibly well for about 2 months but I'm starting to think that now it has grown so well, that the plants are no longer getting the nutrients it needs. I don't want to use too much fertiliser though and throw my parameters off

Barring more informed/experienced voices I would agree with you. In that case perhaps a bit of trimming could help by stimulating the plant to grow again, either sell or discard the trimmings. I also was told/read somewhere that although it does well either planted or floating, it does best floating. So perhaps it's reached a "plateau" of sorts being planted, and the trimming might help get it back in the condition you want it. Try dosing the fertilizer daily or every couple of days instead of weekly, at least for me that made a noticeable difference once I also noticed that my plants were going nowhere after what seemed like a fast start.

Could it be that your water had more nutrients at the start and eventually those nutrients got used up and the added ferts didn't quite cover what the plants needed?

Could it be that your water had more nutrients at the start and eventually those nutrients got used up and the added ferts didn't quite cover what the plants needed?
Its a strong possibility. I did add some Java Fern on driftwood around 3/4 weeks ago. With that using up more nutrients I think its wise for me to use more fertiliser.
Could it be that your water had more nutrients at the start and eventually those nutrients got used up and the added ferts didn't quite cover what the plants needed

Most reactions

trending

Back