Water Wisteria Detaches Itself From Roots

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

RainboWBacoN420

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So one of my Water Wisteria decided to detach itself from its roots and float away off into the LED sun above.
I'm aware that wisteria can float or be planted. This one was already planted for about a week, but I noticed it swaying back and forth. I noticed the stalk near the bottom was bent, I assumed it was one of the albino cories that must've ran into it and bent it. But returning home after work I found it floating around with no roots. I've looked all over the internet and cannot find a similar situation. It seems to be doing just fine, if it begins decaying then I'll definitely take it out. But the neon tetra seem to love it floating around as they seem to follow it and hide under the leaves.

Attachments

• IMG_20150528_113208.jpg
    IMG_20150528_113208.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 140
What may have occurred was the stem became broken (or just bent sufficient to stop the internal flow of nutrients) and in time this weakens and separates.  This can occur before you plant it, and be un-noticed.

Roots will grow from the nodes along the stem if left floating.  You will also see a drastic change in leaf structure; the leaves now on this stem in the photo are wider which results from lower light (such as they would receive when planted in the substrate).  Temperature also affects leaf shape, but that is not the relevant factor here.  When this plant is grown emersed, as a marsh or bog plant (which it is in its natural habitat) the emersed leaves are much like these.  When the plant is grown submersed, the leaves that grow will be more pinnate, or sharply divided.  Brighter light also causes this form, and if left floating the new leaves will be pinnate.

I'm attaching a photo I came across of a couple stems bearing both types of leaves so you can easily see the difference.

Floating plants are important in almost all aquaria, for the fish.  Most of these fish are forest fish that naturally live in shaded streams and creeks, and flooded forest.  They "expect" a roof above them, so much so that many species are said to have something of a light phobia.  Neons and cardinals are particularly so inclined.  You can allow this plant to remain floating and spread over more of the surface, which will certainly be welcomed by the fish.  You will observe brighter colouration from the fish, as they will be less stressed.  Bright overhead light is something that most forest fish never experience naturally, as the sun simply cannot penetrate the forest canopy, and the waters are covered by floating plants or more usually overhanging terrestrial vegetation that further dims the light entering the water.

Byron.

Attachments

• Hygrophila difformis2.jpg
    Hygrophila difformis2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 125
Thanks Bryon!
I'm going to just leave it floating around, maybe I might add a little more once I get the wisteria for my betta. Maybe I'll just leave those floating as well!
These fish aren't from the wild though, born and raised in a fish farm and sold at the PetSmart Empire. So bright lights have probably been their whole life.
Good thing I have a gradual light build up on my hood so it's not a bright, sudden flash of light that frightens the fish.
But I think I see a little baby plant that appears to be detaching itself from its roots, I predict it'll break off and join up with the other one. This plant was right next to the one that already broke off. So I'm expecting that it'll do the same thing.

These fish aren't from the wild though, born and raised in a fish farm and sold at the PetSmart Empire. So bright lights have probably been their whole life.

I just want to pick up on this thought, as it is a very common misconception about several aspects of fish physiology...that somehow, tank-raised fish will lose their natural physiological needs.

Like all animals and plants on this planet, each species of fish has evolved over thousands of years to live in a very specific environment.  Leaving aside the issue of adaptation which is stronger in some animals than others, the essential point is that the fish is physiologically built for the environment, through the process of evolution.  We cannot change this.  You might as well say that your tetra will live outside of water.  It just won't happen.

Light reception by fish is a very complicated bit of physiology.  Not only the fish's eyes, but every cell on the body has light receptors.  These drive the circadian rhythm.  The fish is programmed to respond to light conditions.  I can assure you, after years of observation as well as research, that light intensity plays a significant role in all our fish.

Having said that, and it was very brief for the topic, I am not saying your tank is too bright.  I was merely pointing out that floating plants will improve your fish, regardless of where they came from, and thus it is no surprise to find the tetra under the floating plants.  This is a perfectly natural response to their environment.

Byron.

No,I get what you're saying. And you're most certainly right. I plan to get a few more floaters, the fish appear to absolutely love the little branch of wisteria floating around the tank.

Most reactions

Back