Water Testing Levels For Cycling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sooty_321

Reaction score
hi all,

ive upgraded to a 2ft tank , im currently running a fishless cycle i just tested my samples and im getting

nitrate : 5.0

nitrite : 0.50

ammonia : 0.25

now from what ive read up so far correct me if im wrong as im learning, during my cycle my ammonia needs to higher then drops to 0 as well as nitrite an nitrate?

also another question i bought a aps 1000lph+ thats all working so put the surface skimmer on but it doesnt look like its working like i thought it would?
also its got a uv steriliser, which im reluctant to turn on as im paranoid about it killing the good guys we call bacteria (the uv light is inside the filter)

cheers

will

Can you clarify how long you have been doing the cycle, and how much ammonia you are adding? Your nitrate reading suggests you've not been going for long or added much ammonia. Have you tested your tapwater nitrate? Lots of people have more than that in their tapwater.
In summary, with a fishless cycle you add 5ppm ammonia, top it up when it drops to zero, and wait until both ammonia and nitrite drop to zero within 12 hours of adding a dose of ammonia. You say you thought the ammonia had to be higher than your 0.25 - it will go up to 5ppm every time you add it.

The nitrate reading won't drop to zero, it will go up. It's the end point of the nitrogen cycle and the only way to remove it is by doing water changes.

Remove Nitrate from the question as you will not be monitoring it as of yet,
you specifically name allot of high end salt water equipment that will be all but useless in the freshwater keepers arsenal.

The cycle however is mostly the same to both and the equipment will not disrupt the cycling whatsoever,..any additives potently could.
can you elaborate further??

I'd noticed the marine-style equipment, but I wonder if the OP means the spraybar when he says surface skimmer. The aps 1000+ external has built-in UV whether it's for freshwater or marine.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back