Water temperture

margie

Reaction score
I am new to this board so bear with me if I ask some "stupid" questions. I love fish aquariums but don't currently own one due to temperture concerns in my home. I know there are heaters available to keep the water warm during cooler weather but want about keeping the water at the proper temperture if it's too hot? I do not have central air, only window units and I do not like to run them when I'm not home. I live in Texas and it gets very hot and humid here, especially during July and August. There are aquarium heaters so why isn't there aquarium "air conditioners"?

Welcome to the board, there are no stupid questions here!

You can get chillers: http://www.aquatictech.com/chillers.html

But as you can see they are very expensive. Right now I am all out of ideas but hopefully some of the other members will be able to help more (we have had this problem before and I am trying to remember the solution we found)

:) Hi margie, welcome to the Friendliest Fish Forum on the Net. As a novice fishkeeper no question is stupid, you are going about fishkeeping in the correct manner by asking these q's.
As for keeping a tank cool, there are specific coolers on the market but they are fairly expensive. Many people use fans above the water surface to circulate the air or use ice in a bag. Tropical fish will tolerate temps into the low 80s f. What temp does the room where you intend putting your tank get up to?
Another option is to go to your lfs [local fish store] and find out what other fishkeepers do in your area. Hope this points you in the right direction. :thumbs: Mac.

Welcome margie and may i say how pleasent it is to meet you as you are the first person that ive ever come across to have the forethought to ask questions about how to care properly for fish before actually obtaining any :thumbs: :D you are obviously thinking VERY hard about the requirments of your proposed fish and have a very responsible attitude to the subject of fishkeeping :thumbs: might i add one that alot of "newbies" could benefit from!!!!!!! :what:

As mentioned in previous posts there are aquarium cooler units or "chillers" available but they can be a tad bit pricey :what: , however im sure our resident D.I.Yer and general "handyman" G.L (Great Lakes) will be able to advise you on possible "budget" alternatives to your ambiant temperature problems :)

Once again welcome and enjoy the site/forum :D :thumbs:

I use pc-fans in aquarium light system.

room temperature: 27-29 C
aquariums: temperature 28-30 C
ventilated aquarium: about 25 C, water evaporates about 5 liters/day

And it was much chearper than buy any chillers...

Mi Margie, welcome to the the forum.
I'll leave my two-bit for now, the suggestions should get you thinking. If there is anything you would like expanded just say :alien:

Hi Margie, nice to meet you! :)

As pete says it's nice to see newbie's with a bit of forethought! :D

Hi Margie. MrV's idea of using Pc (proccessor i assume)fans is a good idea they don't take up to much space, but not sure how efficint they'd be in texas though.you'd need a lot of them. I'm sure I've seen something somewhere. I'll go and see if i can find it again.

Hi Margie,
Just to say welcome to the forum, and i hope you will enjoy it enough to stay with us. You don't tell us where you're from. The only reason I'm dying to know is that it seems that the N.E. of England is not err well...represented by anyone other than myself.
Nevertheless,Hello, Good evening and welcome.
By the way...the only stupid question is the question you don't ask. :laugh: :laugh: Martini taught me that one.

margie said:
I live in Texas and it gets very hot and humid here, especially during July and August. There are aquarium heaters so why isn't there aquarium "air conditioners"?
Just for you dragon i will risk making myself the brunt of jokes by trying a qoute. Definately not the N.E

Hi margie, welocome

You pulled that one off whacky. lol But as MSS is a bit under the weather from all that anti venom he's had to take we'll let this one slip i think besides he wont have got used to his goldfoil hat yet . next time show no mercy though. lmao

O.K Mr. Whacky smartie pants. As adeyc said I was under the influence, but I've got my head screwed together now and the goldfoil hat. So watch out. I'm back!!!!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hi,
have a check round the local aquarist shops and aquarist societies/clubs and see what species of fish do well at your high temperatures.

Just looking in my copy of Baensch's "Aquarium Atlas", there are several species of fish that actually thrive at temps as high as 95F! For instance, mosquito fish (Gambusia affinis holbrooki), which is a local species to you.

Other commonly available fish that can tolerate pretty high temperatures (86F) include Siamese Fighting Fish (Betta splendens), clown loaches, orange-finned loaches and many other species of loach, moonlight gouramis, thorny catfish (Platydoras costatus), Clown barbs (Barbus everetti)...

Basically, try to buy the fish to suit the environment, rather than the other way around. You can buy tank chillers, rig up fans, room air-conditioner units, ice-bags, frequent cool water changes etc. but if you know the fish you have can naturally tolerate high temperatures anyway, you have a much higher likelihood of being successful.

Welcome Margie.

For everyones information, Margies tank would be subjected to constant ambient air temps of 35 to 40 deg celcius! This is pretty warm.

Margie, to summarize everyones advice, and add a little of my own, check your local fish store. Find out what others do in your situation, find the best species to keep, and go from there.

If you plan a small tank, there is not much advice I can give you. However, if you planned a large tank, then some form of a do it yourself chiller would then be cost effective.

What is your vision? :)

Most reactions

Back