Water Temperature

rabidric

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 12, 2007
Messages
108
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Southern Hampshire
I've tried searching but couldn't find anything on this, so my apologies if it's old hat. What is the best temperature for a tank? I accept that it varies from species to species but would like to know if there are any ill effects at running things on the high side, for example. I have a 400l tank which has a fair number of fish ranging from Galaxy Rasboras to Leporinus and they all seem to be getting along fine, apart from I can never seem to feed them enough - absolutely everything gets eaten in seconds icluding any plants. Now for the question, I run the tank at around 27/28 degrees and I wonder if this could cause problems maybe even shorten life expectancy? None of the fish have any signs of ill health and all are active and bright looking so it's the long term effects I was interested in.

Cheers
 
short answer - no you'll probably never have any problems maintaining that temp

Long answer - not the answer you're looking for, but it really does vary from species to species.

most people keep their trop tanks somewhere between 24-28oC

there will be some fish which prefer a coller temp than you run at, there will be some which will not tolerate the temp you run at. Difference being the one's which prefer the lower temp will probably live relativley happily and never experience any long term health problems, the ones which are less tolerant will develop health problems if kept for susitained periods at the wrong temp, however these species will be relativley few and far between.

Most common trops are pretty adaptable and will never experience any problems at 27/28

Breeding is one area where you may struggle, plenty of species (lots of cories for example) will be realtivley happy at that temp, but will only spawn if the temp drops down closer to 24.
 
As far as i am aware the galaxy rasboros prefer a cooler tank and wont do well long term at temperatures above 24c.

27/28 is actually the higher end of the scale recommended for community fish and a temperature of 24/26 is perfectly suitable for all but a handful of heat sensitive species (Discus for example). I routinely run my tanks at 24c as it reduces aggression between predatory fish and higher temperatures increases metabolism so the lower temperature means they eat less.
 
I thought it may have long term ill effects and the idea they might eat less is also a bonus. At the moments they will eat about every hour and not small amounts either. But the water stats have been perfect ever since I put the temperature up in the tank so I wonder whether the warmer water is beneficial to the filter bacteria.
I'll drop the temp slowly and see if it has any effect.

Thanks for the comments.
 
Quite aggressive is an understatement! I would say inch for inch my Leporinus are the most aggressive fish i own, they live with a school of Exodons and even they wont mess with them even though their natural diet is the scales and fins of other fish, they soon learnt that Leporinus bite back and they bite hard.
 
I've got 2 and they are very docile, and they're probably 6inches long at least. They were bullied by an anostomus so maybe that knocked the stuffing out of them. But I take what you say om board and I am already considering moving them on, so if anyone in Hampshire would like them give me a PM. I also keep them very well fed.

Let's hope they stay like they are.

Thanks again
 

Most reactions

Back
Top