Water Temperature For Guppies.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

guppymommy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I live in Arizona and recently purchased guppies. I've noticed that sometimes the water temperature gets up to 84 degrees F (in the tank . . . it's hotter in my house :D ). Is this too hot for my guppies? -_- What temperature is considered dangerous for them? :crazy:

84F is okay, a little on the high end, but they should be okay. If you want to bring it down, you can try floating bags of ice or cold water in the tank. Don't just add cold water straight, as that can shock them. :)

84F is okay, a little on the high end, but they should be okay. If you want to bring it down, you can try floating bags of ice or cold water in the tank. Don't just add cold water straight, as that can shock them. :)

If 84F is okay, how high can it get before they are in danger? Is 84F the max I should let it get before I attempt to bring it down? I was concerned that I would need an aquarium heater, but now I'm worried about trying to find a system for cooling the water! Who wouldda thunk it? :sad:

It's hard to say...I'd try your best to keep it around that temperature, if not lower. I'd say definitely not over 88-90F, for extended periods of time though. :)

You may want to add an airstone; I noticed that mine got a bit short of oxygen when temperatures crept that high last summer.

Oh thank you, I never thought of that. How can you tell if they are short on air? I do have a filter in there, will that help with oxygen?

hi,
i have a small fry tank which gets quite high temp in hot weather,when my tank is on the higher temp side my fish tend to stay at the top of the tank, i think this would mean they could to with an air stone,also i turn the light off as mine gives off a lot of heat and sometimes i leave the lid open and open a near by window.
hope this helps donna :) .

an airstone or filter would help, the warmer the water the less oxygen it carries. if oxygen is in short supply you will find the fish in the tank a lot closer to the surface than normal it can almost look like they are gasping for air

Oh, wow! My fish stay at the top of the tank a lot! I have a filter, but I guess they need an airstone, too! I've actually been looking into air stones, but I've only seen bubble stones or bubble curtains that use an air pump. I don't want to seem like an idiot (I'm new at this), but are bubble stones and air stones the same thing? :blush:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back