water hardness question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bettapuppy

Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a 6.7 U.S. gallon tank with a beautiful halfmoon male named Norman (after the famous painter Norman Rockwell). I've had my fish for about two weeks and I have a question about water hardness.
PH: 7.5
KH: 80
GH: 180
I've tested both my tank water and my tap water and I've gotten the same results. I've read that bettas are soft water fish but they can do well in hard water as long as the PH is stable. Is this true?

The pH being stable does not affect how well a fish can cope with the 'wrong' hardness. Soft water fish suffer if kept in hard water regardless of how stable the pH is, and hard water fish suffer in soft water.

if you are worried about your water being too hard for a betta, 180 ppm (10 dH) is not very hard. The range for domestic bettas (as opposed to wild bettas) is 18 to 268 ppm (1 to 15 dH)

The pH being stable does not affect how well a fish can cope with the 'wrong' hardness. Soft water fish suffer if kept in hard water regardless of how stable the pH is, and hard water fish suffer in soft water.

if you are worried about your water being too hard for a betta, 180 ppm (10 dH) is not very hard. The range for domestic bettas (as opposed to wild bettas) is 18 to 268 ppm (1 to 15 dH)

Oh good, thank you. I was worried because the my test kit only goes to 180ppm. I'm using the API 5 in 1 strips.

In that case you do need to find out just how hard your water is. It could be higher than 268 ppm.

Look at your water provider's website, they should give your hardness somewhere on there. You need a number rather than vague words, and you also need to check the unit they use. There are half a dozen different hardness units and fish keeping uses just two so you may need to convert.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back