Water fine slightly cloudy.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Angel.lisa

Reaction score
So.. I have had nitrate problems which I am slowly getting under control. I have done all the research as stated in previous post. And today the water has suddenly gone cloudy. Is this to do with tank still cycling??
Short info.
Been up for 8 weeks. Fish has been in for about 2 weeks.its a 130L with minimal stuff in there no real plants.. and about 20 small fish guppies, mollies neons and minnows 2 angels.

Tap safe is begin used with every water change I am currently doing this once daily at 10-20% to reduce the nitrates.. also using aqua pure balls to keep water clear and healthy. Did use salt for a while but was told to reduce the amount of times I put salt in

Could cloudiness be a sign of to much lighting or cycling still.
And what can I do to make the water clear again... was doing so well keeping it clear and today was like a kick when it went cloudy. Gutted I was

Thanks in advance

It could be a number of things but they are all coming from the same issue (which you need to address) which is that you're crazy over stocked.
It's common for new tanks to go through a brief period of cloudy water, this is usually a small bloom of microbes and the water generally clears up again quite quickly.
Another possibility is that you are over feeding or feeding messy foods full of a lot of filler ingredients such as wheat. Lower quality sinking pellets are notorious for clouding water. If you are over feeding then this could also be contributing to the high nitrate levels.
But ultimately your nitrates are high because of how stocked you are. You have way too many fish in there and also not the right kinds of fish (as in some of those species grow too large for that tank.
Mollies can do alright in your tank as long as you don't have too many but I'm guessing you may have more than 3 and if so you have too many in the tank. Regardless of that number, mixing any amount of mollies in there with the other fish you have is still over crowding the tank.
THe next issue is the angel fish, these fish grow far too large for your tank and they also require a lot more vertical space as they grow to maturity they will become cramped and probably die to stress, especially with all the over fish.
Another issue is that you're mixing hard water species of fish with soft water fish, which is not good at all. The mollies need a lot harder water than say the neons. Furthermore the neons need to have large enough numbers that they can shoal effectively oherwise you will get behavioral issues as well as potential stress related illnesses or even death.
You really need to either return some fish and study up on what kinds of fish do best in your water or split them up respectively and change the parameters to meet the fishes needs.
Can you respond with exact numbers of each species as well as the Water chemistry readings?

Wow that's alot to take in lol... ok it's getting late now but I will.look into it tomorrow afternoon... poor little guys.. they don't look over stocked but guessing as they get bigger that would change...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back