Water Conditioners...

darrel69

Fishaholic
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
654
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Sheffield, UK
Im very sure this has been done loads of times .... but im interested (in an up-to-date version) to know which is best in peoples opinions. Which do you use ??

Ive been using Nutrafin AquaPlus since day one (about a year), its been ok but i havn't used any other to compare it too. Ive had a thew various small problems, but wether they've been caused by AquaPlus, i dont know. Only the probs that every newbie goes through though, like the odd ammonia spike and what'not...

Though, my water does contain chloramine. AquaPlus says it neutralizes chloramine, but ive read it only removes the chlorine part, not the ammonia part. This is a reason for me wanting to try another brand.

I keep seeing loads of good comments/ratings for Seachem Prime. Ive also been recommended this before in the past, and told its better than AquaPlus. Ive got enough of AquaPlus to do one more waterchange, so im out to get some more soon and thinking of trying Prime, What do y'all think ??

Are there certain conditioners out there that best suit particular fish ? Ive never heard of this, just wondering.... I keep African's.

Also, i thought with products that claim to remove ammonia/nitrite/nitrate... i thought they were a big 'No-No' because obviousley with no ammonia/nitrite, no bacteria can feed or grow. Ive got two healthy mature filters and dont want to harm them... And with nitrate removers, does that really mean less waterchanges ?? I always change 30% a week and wouldn't like the idea of leaving it any longer, long term...

Your comments/views/rates ect be very much appreciated. Thanks.



... p.s. im about to pop out for a while so im off, but ill be checking back in later.
 
why change things if they are working well
any spike you have had wont be anything to do with your water conditioner
i have used aqua plus for 3 years
 
I've always used Prime by Seachem in all my tanks and have never had any problems with it. All the water tests I have done have gave great results, as great as those tests are. Never thought about the removal of ammonia and nitrate before, thats a good point, but like I've said I've never run into a problem using it.
 
I also use nutrafin aquaplus, I recently received some free tetra aquaplus so figured I'd give that a try, don't like it at all, maybe the bottle was off or something as when I added it to the water it had a certain smell too it, sort of earthy and it also turns the water slightly blue which annoys me but I guess it's a good idea so that you know you've added it, I didn't use that bucket of water btw, just chuked it and started afresh using aquaplus.
 
I also use nutrafin aquaplus, I recently received some free tetra aquaplus so figured I'd give that a try, don't like it at all, maybe the bottle was off or something as when I added it to the water it had a certain smell too it, sort of earthy and it also turns the water slightly blue which annoys me but I guess it's a good idea so that you know you've added it, I didn't use that bucket of water btw, just chuked it and started afresh using aquaplus.
if its free always check the use by date :lol:
 
I've never used any, well I tried some but it made jack all difference, using plain tap water has never caused my bacteria to die off as I have never got a Ammonia or nitrite spike, and my fish are always much perkier after a water change...I even wash media through the tap sometimes, and do 40-70% water changes on my discus tank with no dechlor.
Until I get a fish death from it I won't use it, it would cost hundreds each year anyway. :shout:
 
For me seachem prime is by far the best easy option.

The bottles are cheaper than other brands to start, but the best thing about it is how concentrated it is in comparison to other brands. You use like 1ml to get rid of the chlorine and chloramine in 10 gallons of new water. It also 'detoxifies' the resulting ammonia, while apparently still letting filter bacteria get to work on it.

The product description page pretty much summarises why I like prime: [URL="http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/Prime.html"]http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/Prime.html[/URL].


I doubt I even need to use any water conditioner, as my actual water changes are usually relatively small - but since a £5.99 bottle of prime buys peace of mind for a long time (even though I put in way more than is needed out of laziness), I figure it's better to be safe just in case the water company changes my pipes again or something equally disastrous.
 
I used to use prime, but I now use a concentrated powder that I get from my uncle. I have no idea what it is, but he uses it in all his tanks (he is a breeder) with no ill effects and it works fine for me too. It is very cheap and you only need one tsp to treat 100g of water.

Ryan
 
I've never used any, well I tried some but it made jack all difference, using plain tap water has never caused my bacteria to die off as I have never got a Ammonia or nitrite spike, and my fish are always much perkier after a water change...I even wash media through the tap sometimes, and do 40-70% water changes on my discus tank with no dechlor.
Until I get a fish death from it I won't use it, it would cost hundreds each year anyway. :shout:

I completely agree :good:
 
I use Kockney Koi Pond Dechlorinator. It's even more concentrated than Seachem Prime.

1ml of dechlor detoxifies chlorine and chloramine in 75 litres of water. It just so happens that i change around 75 litres of water in my 260 litre tank every week and i have a 500ml bottle of Kockney Koi (which cost £8), so the bottle will last me around 9 years. Thats less than £1 per year.

I agree that it is probably not necessary to keep the filter bacteria alive, but too many people seem to forget that the fish won't appreciate swimming around in chlorine either. At less than £1 per year, it's a welcome addition to any tank of mine.

P.S. I used to use Nutrafin Aquaplus and it cost me a fortune. Kockney Koi is exactly the same stuff (sodium thiosulphate), just more concentrated. Aquarium dechlor is much more expensive, but the same product. I'll never buy it again.
 
I've used many(to see which one I like the most, works for me, cost effective etc.) but now I use Seachem Prime and am very happy. Idon't plan on changing...ever.
 
Thanks for your replys everyone.. :good: I should've dont a poll ... -_-

why change things if they are working well
any spike you have had wont be anything to do with your water conditioner
i have used aqua plus for 3 years

Your right, really i should stay as i am if things are going well. The perfectionist within me is just curious lol....

I don't use any. :look:
I've never used any, well I tried some but it made jack all difference, using plain tap water has never caused my bacteria to die off as I have never got a Ammonia or nitrite spike, and my fish are always much perkier after a water change...I even wash media through the tap sometimes, and do 40-70% water changes on my discus tank with no dechlor.
Until I get a fish death from it I won't use it, it would cost hundreds each year anyway. :shout:

Someone i know has a huge tank full of community fish and never uses anything in his water neither. He always says "Water has enougth chemicals in it. why add more?"

Think id have a panic attack if i thought water had been added to my tank without any dechlor added LOL.

I used to use prime, but I now use a concentrated powder that I get from my uncle. I have no idea what it is, but he uses it in all his tanks (he is a breeder) with no ill effects and it works fine for me too. It is very cheap and you only need one tsp to treat 100g of water.

Ryan

Ive read of something simular actually. Think it was called 'Chloram X' or somethin.... Suppose to really effective. Never seen it on sale anywere though.

I use Kockney Koi Pond Dechlorinator. It's even more concentrated than Seachem Prime.

1ml of dechlor detoxifies chlorine and chloramine in 75 litres of water. It just so happens that i change around 75 litres of water in my 260 litre tank every week and i have a 500ml bottle of Kockney Koi (which cost £8), so the bottle will last me around 9 years. Thats less than £1 per year.

I agree that it is probably not necessary to keep the filter bacteria alive, but too many people seem to forget that the fish won't appreciate swimming around in chlorine either. At less than £1 per year, it's a welcome addition to any tank of mine.

P.S. I used to use Nutrafin Aquaplus and it cost me a fortune. Kockney Koi is exactly the same stuff (sodium thiosulphate), just more concentrated. Aquarium dechlor is much more expensive, but the same product. I'll never buy it again.

On another forum, this was on a 'money saving' thread, that pond dechlor is exactley the same as aquarium dechlor but far cheaper. People were claiming useing it with no problems at all.... Its a really good idea. :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top