water changes

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

reefboy

Reaction score
I need to change about 60litres of water per week for my tank. So far this has been done using buckets and repeated journeys up and down stairs, step ladders and water syphoning. There has to be easier ways. Do people usually set up pumping systems or do you all use other techniques?

...and should I be removing all the water that is coming out first of all and then replace it?..or do people drain water while adding the new water at the same time? It seems to me a better way than leaving things high and dry (albeit briefly) though you are risking sucking out some of the new water you are trying to put in?!!

Hm...
Before i suggest how often you need tochange water i would like ot know more about your tank first.

How large is the tank
How long has it been setup
What type of filtraton are you using

I havent done a water change in my tank in over 2 months.

well it was set up as an eco system so the water flows over into the weir and down through bio balls. here are several sheets of blue matting as biological filter matting in various places, there is a refugium with miracle mud and macro algae. I have added a prizm protein skimmer to help out and have added some finer layers of filter matter in the weir to catch particles too. There is also about 60kg live rock as a natural filter too.

The water was first added in feb and the rock towards the middle of that month starting the initial cycle. Overall I think there is approaching 600litres water

600ltrs I think that must be about 120g in UK Money

I think you are maybe being a bit excessive with the water changes pal

I havent done a proper water change in ages, only Top Ups every 5 days

Also if you are using Live Rock as your main Bio Filtration I would not use any sponges, wool or any particulte filter material as this will simpoly go bio and dump toxins (Nit) in to your tank.

Oh ok, maybe I will try removing the filter mats. The nitrate level was about 25 which is why I thought I wasnt doing enough of a water change...also books Ive read have suggested 10% a week or 20-25% every two weeks. Do you think it might be the filter sponges that are increasing nitrates then?

There is quite a lot of live rock in my system and quite a large filter with many bio balls and macro algae. I have been a little surprised that the system hasnt been as efficient as I thought it might. Could the filter sponges be to blame?

Hi RB

As above I would suggest getting rid of any other Bio-Filtration as IMO this should be taken care of by your LiveRock

Your Nitrates are very High I suspect that this is being caused by the extra Bio-Filtration Dumping toxins into the tank

I would suggest getting rid of the Bio Filtration & Doing a couple of water changes over say 2 -3 weeks to get the nitrates down

Just MO thought

:D

Most reactions

Back