Water changes

Eel Boy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Do you have to put something like aqua safe in everytime you do a water change

I take it aquasafe is a dechlorinating formular for your tank? If so then yes. Chlorine is harmful to fish.

Oh yes. :nod:

You have to add some kind of de-chlorinator, if you do water changes with out one you are most likely going to kill your fish and kill all your beneficail bacteria! :crazy:. So lol...yeah you need to add something like Aquasafe.

I use Stress Coat I just like it! :D

...you could always boil the water first, wait for it to cool down then add it into the tank. Well that's what I do whenever I run out of my de-chlorinator!

Boiling, aerating, and aging will not remove chloramine, only chlorine. Don't rely on any of these "alternative dechlor" methods unless you are ~absolutely certain~ that your water supply contains only chlorine and never chloramine.

Works for chlorine, but not chloramine. Chloramine is very stable, that's why so many water companies have switched to it.

Hey VulcanNinja

Read above to what Luxum stated. If you are sure your water doesn't countain chlormine, then ya, you can let your water age (sit out for I say atleast 3-4 days min)

Yes and no... There was a time when I added few drops when changing water. Nowadays I put some because especially on summer (when people are away from city) tap-water is not so good. It's very good, you drink it etc, but not good for sensitive fishes. I have sensitives fishes so that I try to minimize stress. But no way, Im not going to add so much coonditioners like it said in bottle. Those chemicals aren't very good for fishes either if you add them too much.

Amines are quickly oxidized nitrites and nitrates, so when doing water changes, amines will "disappear" quickly and if you're doing small water changes, Im not sure, do you actually need to add anything to water - if you water is enough pure -> you can drink it yourself too... Of course in places where tap-water is terrible, you need to add water conditioners.

Most reactions

Back