Water Changes in this heat!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cupofjoel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Anyone having issues with water changes due to the heatwave? My tap is running around 80+ degrees when my tank is at 76. I do a 50-70% water change weekly and it'll raise my tank temp to around 78-79. Will this stress out the fish? I don't know how else to match the water temp to my tank since its so hot that the tap water is coming out warmer than usual.

Do you refill with a bucket or hose? If it's a bucket you can use ice cubes to cool the water to the temp you need, just make sure they've all melted before emptying the bucket into the tank.

Was also thinking of ice. I would freeze a plastic bottle or metal thermos with some water, then place that in the bucket of water to cool it. Then pop the bottle back in the freezer ready for the next water change, or to (carefully) use to cool your tank if it goes too high.

I live in Texas and my water will jump up about 4 degrees after a water change. I just leave the lid cracked open for a few hours and it cools back down. A few degrees give or take is OK. I do add ice to buckets in scorching hot days.

Was also thinking of ice. I would freeze a plastic bottle or metal thermos with some water, then place that in the bucket of water to cool it. Then pop the bottle back in the freezer ready for the next water change, or to (carefully) use to cool your tank if it goes too high.

That's a great idea. I'll try that.

If possible, have a fan blowing at the water surface to create evaporative cooling

Even when the weather here is in the high 80s to low 90s for a week or two my tap water is around 60 degrees, in winter it drops even lower. Lake Michigan water is cold year round. Few people try swimming in it, only sit on the beach and enjoy the sun.

Only freeze dechlorinated water if you are going to do this. You don’t want any chlorine entering the tank...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back