April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

lilhurleybunny

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Swimmin around in the Chesapeake Bay ;) in Marylan
Hey guys!

I have a tank that has been established and running for a year now. I'm wondering, how often should I be vacuuming and doing water changes?

The reason I'm asking is because well I need to know :p and I read somewhere that the older your tank is the less maintenence it needs (less frequent water changes, etc, etc.). Is this true?

Thanks guys!

^_^

Older tanks do not need less maintainance. Maintainance is determined by the type & quantity of fish. If nothing has changed, keep the same routine, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Tolak

the more fish the more maintanance it needs.And it depends on the filter too.on average you should be doing about 10%water changes a week.Mabe more and vacuming every week too.

Water changes are important; waiting a year is probably not good for the fish. I try to do a 40% change once every 4-6 weeks and my fish are fine, though I probably should do it every 3 weeks at 25%. The bacteria in your filter take out the ammonia but they release nitrite (I think that is what it is called) which is also bad for the fish if large quantities. There are testers you can purchase. I no longer test mine as around 4 weeks the levels are high enough for a change. I always do a gravel cleaning, but then I do not have a gravel filtration system. There is a product called a python that you can hook up to a kitchen sink or outside garden hose, (or in my case I purchased an adapter where it can be installed in place of a shower head in the bathroom.) The python acts as a vacuum, but it has a wide tube at the end so it wont suck in your substrate.

By the way I got into this hobby 4 years ago and found most of my info here:

http://fins.actwin.com/index.php

If it's the tank in your sig it should be fine.

Tolak

Most reactions

trending

Back