Water Changed With Discus

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

those 2 sponge filters should be turning over the water well enough. if they are starved of oxygen they will usually be seen gasping at the surface. how many times do they 'move' their gills a minute? should be roughly once a second. your ph of 6.9 will be fine

Dont mess with water parameters. Stable water is the most important thing with discus. Tank bred discus like the ones im assuming you have are tolerant to a large range of paramaters. Twice daily 50% water changes are fine but really all you need to worry about is removing old uneaten food. With a barebottom tank I dont think 50% is necessary, and with full grown adult discus like I think you said you had you really dont need a barebottom tank. People use barebottom tanks for growing out juvinilles. Only juvies require daily water changes and heavy feeding.

If they are in a new tank just leave the lights off and let them be for a few days. Discus are always skittish when getting used to a new tank and need time to be left to acclimate. Just leave them alone for a bit, quit sticking your hands in the tank and chill out dude. I had one Discus that took a week before it stopped hiding in the corner while the other 4 were happy as clams. He came around now and is still a bit more skittish than the others but not nearly as bad.

BUT, if you plan on breeding your fish it probably wont happen unless you use RO water.

they where fine b4 now i just had a look at my fish realy good and it looks like they are moving there gills about 3 times per second, i presume this is not good?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back