Wanting To Set Up A Puffer Tank (Advice Needed!)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

trout_pout

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've had a good look through various different articles online reg. Dwarf and GSPs.

I'm really undecided in terms of which one to go for.

I've got a 30 gallon tank at the moment.

A couple of months ago I changed the substrate to sand. It had all cleared up, now and has a couple of fish living in there.

Currently I have two yo-yo loaches in there.

But I'm looking to make the tank a puffer set-up.

I've been looking at the two types of puffer for weeks. So, I'd be looking at either going down the route of;

1 x GSP in a set-up with some form of brackish dwelling shrimp as cleaner fish

or

6/7/8 Dwarf puffer with a bristlenose (maybe keep the yo-yo loaches)

Really not sure, so far.

If I were to go down the GSP route. I'd get the loaches out, add marine salt. Then add the shrimps in a few weeks in advance - before adding in the GSP.

Really need some advice, though.

What would you all suggest?

TBH, its up to you. There are positives and negatives for each fish.

Dwarf Puffer:

Positives:
  • Easier to care for.
  • Can have more than one.
  • Easier to feed.
  • Not as messy
Negatives:
  • Small size.
  • Not as interactive.

Green Spot Puffer

Positives:
  • Bigger size.
  • More interactive.
  • Can live to 15+ years.

Negatives:
  • Can only have one.
  • Harder to feed.
  • Teeth grow throughout their life.
  • Fussier about water conditions.
  • Can get bored semi-easy.
  • Need strong filtration.
  • Can live 15+ years.

Probably other positives and negatives but thats all I can think of for now :)

Be careful with the GSP, they can get to 6 inch and if they are bored they will pace up and down the glass and it will drive you crazy! Depends on how you decorate, but then again some still will pace until they are put into bigger tanks. Also idealy they should be in a full marine tank when adults. Maybe try one or maybe two figure eight puffers, they are smaller and brackish!

Nikki77D said:
Be careful with the GSP, they can get to 6 inch and if they are bored they will pace up and down the glass and it will drive you crazy! Depends on how you decorate, but then again some still will pace until they are put into bigger tanks. Also idealy they should be in a full marine tank when adults. Maybe try one or maybe two figure eight puffers, they are smaller and brackish!
I've had a quick look at them. I've read that they need 10-15 gallons per fish.

I don't think that I'd put two in. I'd rather put 3 - 1:Male 2:Female.

But I think that it may be too tight of a squeeze...
fish.gif

I was thinking awhile back to have figure 8s in my 35 gal and I went on the puffer forum and very experienced people said I could have 2 IF I decorated we'll and could try bubblebee gobys with them but you still have to be careful cause they are puffers and they all can be aggressive. Also I don't think they can be sexed.

Your welcome! :) and maybe go on the puffer forum (that's the name). They are A LOT of help! Goodluck!

can anyone help I want to ask a question about my tank but can't figure out how to open a new forum to ask them in please help I just singed up tonight for this site thanks

You should see a button saying 'start new topic', over on the right hand side of the screen.

If you don't see it, post it here and I or one of the other mods will split it into a new thread for you
smile.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back