Wanting To Do A Biotope...

FeroX

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Nov 6, 2005
Messages
166
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
Of a fast-flowing stream....somewhere. China, perhaps? Only problem, if it even is a problem, is the tank I'd like to do it in is a 48x18x18 drilled tank. Here's some pics









I've never done a biotope before but I'd really love to start one now, and on a fast-flowing stream. I've googled somewhat but it's mostly useless so far. My problem is, how can I incorporate a sump (most likely a 23Long tank) into this design, and if I can, what should the sump have and all that jazz too. I've also never used a sump before so maybe some diagrams and very detailed explanations would help me greatly. i.e. what pumps go where to what and what sump should look like w/ media and stuff.

I figured since that a chinese mountain stream (if thats what I decide to go, if there are other fast-flowing streams that I could replicate POST EM!) has mostly small fish, so the sump could almost entirely consist of biological filtration instead of masses of mechanical, right?

Anyway, yeah, basically what I'm saying is:

1) What equipment do I need for this biotope? Best filter, if I need one w/ the sump...idk, best powerheads, etc
2) Please help me out with this sump business, how do I construct, how do I set it all up etc
3) "Best" fast-flowing river/stream biotope to replicate

Remember, tank is 48x18x18 w/ those bulkheads drilled already. Thx a lot guys
 
This month's Practical Fishkeeping had a great article on constucting a fas-flowing streat biotype actually. I would check that out.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top