Wan't to realy help real fish?

Opcn

Big fish
Reaction score
I was recently in "My" thread and I started thinking about farmed salmon after thinking abut farmed mice. Shortly after I started thinking about it I realized that the people In this forum would be the perfect people to recruit in the movement against farmed salmon (Well maby not tropical chitchat seeing as how the atlantic salmon is not a tropical fish but...). Farmed salmon are trated very inhumanely (think about keeping a two and a half foot fish in a small bathtub), they polute (they need to use nerve gas to kill the "sea lice" which can cause nerve damage to the salmon), they are wasteful (it takes 6 tons of mackrell to maketwo tons of farmed salmon, and one half of the antibiotic filled macrel pellets that they feed them come to rest on the ocien floor creating alge blooms like you wouldn't belive), They carry all sorts of nasty bugs (they breed antibiotic resitant bacteria and even gat mad cow desies), they are not healthy (they feed the fish all sorts of chemicals and dyes to make the gray and atrophied flesh red and "natural looking"), and they taste bad (Trust me I'm from Alaska, and Stores can't sell farmed salmon up here it just rots because we won't buy it), They are unhealthy for us to consume (they lack the nutritional benefits of wild salmon and are full of the aformentioned chemicals), and finally they realy hurt thewild fish. They escape from the pes durring storms and swim with other fish (because they have lost all tracking capabilities after living in such close quarters) and overcrowd spawning sights which causes the salmon to uncover nests which inturn kills the eggs then the farmed salmon (who are all inbred from the same stock that the norwegians started out with many decades ago) spawn reducing biodeversity and spreading the defective genes that they have.

This is in every way more cruel than glofish so how about some oposition to it (at least boycott it if not for the movement than for your own health.)

Opcn

you can still buy alaskan salmon (we have never farmed fish we knew it would be trouble) or any pacific salmon (of the top f my head thats king, coho, pink, red, sockeye, humpback, silver, and bering straight salmon) Also the runners world nutritionalist just (a month ago) said that canned berring straight salmon was a must for any endurance athelete. But seeing as how I am from alaska some of you may thing I am biased so I encourage you to look up the practice for yourselves. Also tell your friends about this so they can stop buying farmed salmon aswell.

Opcn

Ugh, I had no idea of all of that. I would have guessed some of it was going on, but not to that extent. I am someone though who has eaten both, and definitely can tell a huge difference in taste. Wild salmon tase GOOD... and farmed, eh.. I'll pass. Why waste the money? :dunno:

Farmed salmon are cheap really realy cheap. The price that cannaries used to pay for salmon was 1.20 per pound but now that there are cheap *** salmon avaiable the price is down to 35 cents a pound fishing is a waste of time for most ppl nowso the point of no return is fast aproaching.

:(

Opcn

Oh and theres more, There are ALMOST NO wild salmon left in norway more than 13 percent of the fish caught in streams are recent escapes from fish farms. EVERY YEAR!!

Thats awful, I never knew they treated salmon that badly (although I have never had salmon). its just as bad as they used to treat Veal cows (before it was out lawwed).

I already do boycott farmed salmon, however, I also boycott all, salmon, all fish in fact, can't stand the stuff!

Hi opcn :)

Thanks for that informative post. I had no idea how fish farming was done.

This explains why canned salmon, which used to be a bit pricy, is now affordable.
In fact, it has become one of the things my local supermarket regularly uses as one of its weekly sale items.

It is, however, serving a good purpose by providing much needed protein in the diet of many people, many who are senior citizens and children.

Yes I dont eat fish or seafood. As a matter of fact I am a vegetarian, so I dont eat any animals.
:smb:

Inch worm the problem is that it is cruel and does not provide a good source of protein and have less omega 3(just compair the labels on wild and farm raised) also there are lots more nasty chemicals than any fish out there they have more than twice as many PCBs (a nasty carcinagen and the chemical that the first zebra danios were modified to glow for) than any fish. Also the farms are located in shalow bays to reduce the efect of storms but that also means that they get to live in a swerling mass of there own fecies Think about a 10 percent water change a day in a massively overcrowded tank with Piles of dead food on the floor (They acctualy need to cycle these bays or they loose more than 85% of the first batch) And for someone like guppie monkey who does not want to see fry die over half of the smolt (cigar sized brackish water stage) die when they get put out in the salt water.

Opcn

Is it that you don't belive me or that you don't think it should happen. Oh and feel free to complain at your supermarket about it (management not stock clerks) or write to upper management.

opcn

opcn said:
Is it that you don't belive me or that you don't think it should happen.

opcn
LOL

It's that I don't believe in any farming of any animals for meat. It doesn't suprise me that these poor creatures are suffering, it happens all the time in all aspects of everything in the meat industry. Although, I do believe that if people want to eat meat (and it's up to the individual) it is their resposability to only buy humanely farmed and slaughtered meat. So, it goes witout saying that Halal is a no no!

Hope that's cleared up. I admire your campaign, but as I'm sure you can imagine it falls way short of my ideal! ;)

opcn said:
Inch worm the problem is that it is cruel and does not provide a good source of protein and have less omega 3(just compare the labels on wild and farm raised)
Hi opcn :)

I agree with you 100%. If these fish farm conditions are as you say, and I believe they are, it is cruel and absolutely horrible. :sick:

What brands of canned salmon are farmed and which ones are wild? I will try to look at the labels. :nod:

The thing about salmon is that there are no big brands like there are in tuna (when canned tuna first came on to the market they advertised with "garanteed not to turn pink in the can.") But next time I go to the store I will write down a list of brands until then look for what type of salmon it is a match to the list above. If you buy a whole salmon in be sure it is not atlantic there ar many types of salmon and the world only knows one :(

Opcn

Most reactions

Back