Want To Give My Fish I Bit Of A Treat Food Wise?

LastBoy5cout

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Nov 29, 2007
Messages
182
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Wiltshire
Generally feed my fish flake food, algae wafers, frozen bloodworms and the odd bit of cucumber for my plec.

If I want to keep them in good health and looking colourful, is there anything that I can feed them to vary it up a bit and keep them happy?

I have platies, tetra's, cories, cloud minnows and a common plec.
 
Frozen brine shrimp, daphnia, tubifex, prawns will all be eaten by those fish happily.

Try some sweet potato, peas and lettuce for the plec too :good:
 
Frozen brine shrimp, daphnia, tubifex, prawns will all be eaten by those fish happily.

Try some sweet potato, peas and lettuce for the plec too :good:

If using Peas, make sure you skin them first and use only frozen ones that have been warmed up in a microwave. Canned varieties contain preservatives.
 
I give zuccini and cucumber for my plec but all the fish tuck in. Again Peas (Frozen ones put in the microwave for 50 secs . Skin them and dice them up to go around. they love them)

Also raw potato is loved by the plec. (Skined and thats it...)
 
I notice you feed frozen bloodworms, have you tried live? or Brine shrimp and daphnia?

I have found that my cories LOVE grubbing for bloodworms, and my danios, being active fish like tetras, love to chase and catch the daphnia. I also feed live brineshrimp. The live foods are nutritious for them, and will encourage a little more natural feeding behaviour, since they will have to catch the food if they want to eat it.
 
Generally feed my fish flake food, algae wafers, frozen bloodworms and the odd bit of cucumber for my plec.

If I want to keep them in good health and looking colourful, is there anything that I can feed them to vary it up a bit and keep them happy?

I have platies, tetra's, cories, cloud minnows and a common plec.


I give zuccini and cucumber for my plec but all the fish tuck in. Again Peas (Frozen ones put in the microwave for 50 secs . Skin them and dice them up to go around. they love them)

Also raw potato is loved by the plec. (Skined and thats it...)
remember to be any use to, most, fish you need to leave the fresh veg in for several days, not just a few hours. dont worry about your water, unless you are woafully under filtered, and you dont but too much in, you will never have any problems. remember too, with the exception of things like peas, the skin is often the most useful part of the veg. leave it in till its gone. i would suggest a minimum time of 48 hours. i though simply leave it in till its gone.

other things that go down well, in my tank:
fresh roast chicken.
prawns, be warned do not feed prawns or any crustacean to another crustacean. there is a illness called "white spot", not the one well all know of though. it is considered endemic within the trade. whilst it has no effect on humans or fish for that matter. it can deadly to Crustacea.
krane flys,Ginnyspinners, Daddylonglegs, it is fun catching them!
worms (earth)
snails.
Crayfish love, partially rotted oak leafs.
almost any (high water content) veg or fruit will go down a treat with things like, common plecos. i find my RTS likes very fresh cucumber!!

ok i know i dont do this in my tank, but i know and trust one person who does.
if you have the opportunity, fly lave, the kind you get in stagnant water. i know of people collecting rain water and feeding these guys to their fish during season.
 
When I feed my fish live mosquito larvea or live brine shrimp ... they go nuts. :)
 
I love to get a cube of tubifex and press it against the front glass and watch all the fish attack it!
 
no one is to shout at me !! lol, i gave jambo a bit of cod out of a fish finger (100% cod) he loved it, the kids wernt impressed that i was nicking there food to give to him mind, and i only did it once :blush: :blush: but its usually prawn,shrimp, or bloodworms :)


shelagh xxx
 
LOL Shelagh, fish fingers indeed, cant hurt him so no worries :)
 
I love to get a cube of tubifex and press it against the front glass and watch all the fish attack it!


I never thought of pressing it against the glass. Does it stick there for long? I've always forced the cube betwenn the prongs of my planting stick, and held that in the tank and all the fish come and take chunks out. Eventually it comes loose and floats to the surface where the gourami chases it about :lol: :fish:
 
Frozen brine shrimp, daphnia, tubifex, prawns will all be eaten by those fish happily.

Try some sweet potato, peas and lettuce for the plec too :good:

If using Peas, make sure you skin them first and use only frozen ones that have been warmed up in a microwave. Canned varieties contain preservatives.
i have not found any tinned products, peas, carrots or potatoes with any preservatives in them. indeed why would they need any? i would agree, salt, is a problem in some. but preservatives, no. as long as you keep an eye on the salt, feeding tinned food can be nothing but good for your stock. lots of them just don't have the ability to digest, much of the veg we put in fresh, and many of us are too afraid to leave it in long enough to be useful. so carefully checked tinned food is very good.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top