Wally's 60l Journal

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

wally6346

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've never done a journal before but here goes!
I've gone from the worst a tank could possibly look when I changed my substrate to something far more acceptable!! Its been set up for 3 days now with the new substrate, now with more plants.

The tank is a Tetra Aquaart, and I have just ran a new filter in to replace the standard one (which created too muc surface agitation). Now I have a Hydor Cystal Duo 2011 which is working a treat.

This is along with two Nutrafin CO2 kits, both at 1 bubble per 4 seconds, which I plan to change alternatively to keep the levels more stable. I have added more lighting to give me 2WPG thanks to the wonderful help of Sam. The eco-complete looks far better than the blue substrate I used to have, obviously with the added bonus of being good for the plants!!!

Currently, I am left with all my old fish (gratefully after the shake up!!) which are:
3 amano shrimp,
2 Platies
5 Guppy fry
1 Bristlenose plec
1 Honey Gourami
2 Bronze cory
1 Sterbai cory

I intend to get a group of ottos and more shrimp

The plants are:
Ludwigia arcuata
Cardamine lyrata
Cryptocoryne bullosa
Vallis (unsure of which sort)
Cabomba
Micranthemum micranthoides (foreground)

Here are some pictures from the changeover through to the current setup:

Attachments

• for_my_avatar.JPG
    for_my_avatar.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 103
  • oh_dear.JPG
    oh_dear.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 3.5.07.jpg
    3.5.07.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 108
More pics of current:

Attachments

• STA60075.JPG
    STA60075.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 98
  • STA60071.JPG
    STA60071.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 105
  • STA60076.JPG
    STA60076.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 103
Another picture, looks a bit better in the dark!

Attachments

• STA60077.JPG
    STA60077.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 107
Glad to see you started a journal :) tanks looking good. One quick thing you could run the CO2 into a single ladder, that would get one out of the tank, remove some of the clutter? Use an air line t connector. It not a big thing just thought I'd mention it :)

Is that the new filter and lighting I see? Looks good, like the way you got the lighting wires out the top of the tank :)

Sam

Glad to see you started a journal :) tanks looking good. One quick thing you could run the CO2 into a single ladder, that would get one out of the tank, remove some of the clutter? Use an air line t connector. It not a big thing just thought I'd mention it :)

Is that the new filter and lighting I see? Looks good, like the way you got the lighting wires out the top of the tank :)

Sam

That would be a good idea, think I can get hold of the connectors.

That is the new filter and lighting, the new filter is very good and the lighting looks brilliant, although it didn't show up well on the photo. The plants are growing really well, no algae or other problems as of yet...can't wait until its all grown in, the first few days they've shot up though so its going well...added more plants.

Looking very nice so far Wally

I think the HM should make a great mid ground once it is in and around the pebbles.

What is the capacity of this tank? If it is a smaller tank, then regular 50% water changes are going to be your best friend against algae.

Dave.

EDIT: just read the tile with 60l in it.

Looking very nice so far Wally

I think the HM should make a great mid ground once it is in and around the pebbles.

What is the capacity of this tank? If it is a smaller tank, then regular 50% water changes are going to be your best friend against algae.

Dave.

EDIT: just read the tile with 60l in it.

Thanks Dave,

Would that be 50% changes every week, or two weeks? or in between lol!

Yeah, the HM's growing in really well, pleased with it and still no algae! The back left of the tank is growing nicely too so hopfully I can take the cabomba out in a few weeks!

I am maturing a 60l tank at the moment and I do 50% water changes every three days. The tank is now probably at the stage where I can start slackening off a bit though, and maybe move it out to once a week.

Dave.

I am maturing a 60l tank at the moment and I do 50% water changes every three days. The tank is now probably at the stage where I can start slackening off a bit though, and maybe move it out to once a week.

Dave.

OK thanks, I'll bear in mind doing bigger and more regular water changes :good:

Great start so far. I really enjoy the contrast of the green and black. It looks good. Give it time, planted tanks take a little while to sort themselves out, my experience has been 3-4 months. They really start getting lovely when they are older, though. I have one that's nearly a year old, and it's my favorite now.

llj

Great start so far. I really enjoy the contrast of the green and black. It looks good. Give it time, planted tanks take a little while to sort themselves out, my experience has been 3-4 months. They really start getting lovely when they are older, though. I have one that's nearly a year old, and it's my favorite now.

How very true. It also takes that long to get on top of the algae, especially in lower light tanks.

Thanks :) Guess I just have to wait and see, its all good at the moment though...here's a new photo, need some better photos later tonight but just for an idea of how its set in within a week. The colours don't come out very well unfortunately but here it is:

Attachments

• 11.5.07.JPG
    11.5.07.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 102
Yeah the HM is growing really really well....only problem is some of it gets uprooted (by the cory's playing probably).
I try to replant it but there are some bits which just won't establish! Any tips?

Added three ottos yesterday which are doing really well and about to do a 50% water change. All the plants are taking off now!

Most reactions

Back