What's new

Vote Now! - May 2021 Tank of the Month Contest (31 G and larger)

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Vote Now for May 2021 Tank of the Month (31 G and larger)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Tank of the Month
:big_boss:
PLEASE VOTE!
We have 7 awesome tanks entered in Fishforums' May 2021 Tank of the Month contest featuring tanks sized at 31 gallons and larger. View all the tanks and descriptions below and then go to top of this thread and click on your choice for TOTM and then click the "Cast" button.

It’s best to view these awesome tanks on a computer screen or a tablet instead of a small phone screen.

Please Note:
Any attempt to influence competition results, other than by casting your allocated vote, is not permitted and may result in your entry being removed and / or further action being taken. This is a public poll so source of votes can be viewed.

Winner will be awarded a neat "Tank of the Month Winner" banner in his profile area and will be featured in a "TOTM Winner" thread for all to see and to comment on. Winner will also be added to our TOTM WALL OF FAME

This poll will end on May 15th at 4:00 PM ET (US)

Last edited:
20210323_151358[1].jpg

underwater Rain Forrest.#
Hi everybody.this is my entry for tank of the month for May. The tank is a Juwel 260 and has now been running for around 3 and a half years. Tank measurement are 120cms,L,65cms,H,45cms,w and holds 260litres. Water parmeters are Ammonia 0,Nitrites 0 Nitrates at 10PPM. The lighting i use is a Nicrew full spectum LED which is running on a ramp timer attatched to the side of my Aquarium,Iset the timer so it represents the daylight cycle from a normal daytime in the wild. I do a weeKly water change of around 40% and i do one monthly water change at 80% to which i also then clean my filters. The filtration i use is a double filtration system, I have a Juwel Biofilter 260 filtersytem in the tank and i also have a Hydor professional 250 External filter, I have a Fluval water skinmmer attached to the inlet pipe of my Hydor filter beacause i was getting a lot of film buidlup on the water surface caused by my floating frogbit plants. The ferts i use are Microbe lift Bio co2,Microbe lift Plans Green and also Microbe life Iron. I also use root tabs but i have no idea of the name of them but my plant love them. Plants i have are, Frogbit floating in a ring i made from tubing,it keeps it under control that way. I also have some very strong growing and healthy Waterspite both floating with strong roots and also growing from the substrate, i was getting a lot of melt with the water sprite but after countless cutting back and finally getting all the ferts and parameters right it is thriving as you can probably see in the pictures. Other plants i have are Crypts but i dont know the type, Ludwigia repens Mesakana,Diodia cf kuntzei,Limnophila hippuridoides and also some java moss growing on my Mopani wood, also i have 10 Marimo moss balls in my aquarium to also help filtration. I have 3 large pices of Mopani wood in my Aqurium which provide a lot of hiding space. The stock i have in my Tank are 10 neon tetras,8 rummy nose tetras, 8 zebra tetras,6 Marble corydoras and one Blue Betta who i call bruiser. I hope you like my tank ,i have put a lot of time ,money and love into creating this. Thank you for viewing my tank and also good luck to all entrants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all!
Thought I'd have a go at TOTM too.
20210430_204047~2.jpg

Here's my 200l/ 55g jewel Lido. It's 70 x 60 x 50 cm and has a large piece of driftwood taking out some capacity in the middle.
Set up in February. Parameters ammonia 0, nitrates 0, nitrites 0-2.5. PH 7.5

I use the internal jewel filter and lighting but have added an All Pond Solutions 1000l EF - I wanted to overfilter for my impending fry issue and I'm not brave enough to take the internal out.

I also added a small airstone as I think the depth risks issues with oxygenation, but at a lower flow than this size of tank would reccomend.

Plants include elodea, amazon sword, some cryptocoryne, althernantha, a couple of types of hygrophila, java fern and a little salvinia on the surface (which survives rather than thrives).

Understocked at the moment - 2 adult female mollies, 6 x 8 week old fry and about 8 x 4 week old fry. The boys were evicted a few weeks ago to control fry and I'm waiting to be able to identify the sex of the fry. No plans to expand until I know we wont have babies every 2 weeks.

I was using the aquascaper complete - probably not as reliably as I should. Noticed pale plants and some holes in leaves, so switched to seachem flourish a couple of weeks ago and the plants are much happier. Thus may represent me doing a better job rather than fert effectiveness.

Plant wise I'm still learning. The fish like to nibble through the stalks of some, I just replant the floating tops in one of the tanks so the aquascaping is very accidental. Micorcanthenum has not survived my tender touch ha ha!

I do a 20- 40% water change a week depending on time. I've just got confident enough to test only once or twice a week after doing alternate days for a while to make sure I didn't mess anything up. Glass cleaned by my 5 year old so probably variable in standard!

I feed twice a day, I suspect I'm overfeeding but when I feed less more plants get eaten so its a balance I am learning. I use tetra micro granules, plec spiralina wafers, tetrapro algae, frozen bloodworm, and fresh veggies 3-5 x week as available so I mix the variety up.

No big changes planned. I'm just getting used to running the big tank, and waiting on properly segregating boys and girls. Once I feel like I've learned my craft I may consider adding other types of fish.

We are enjoying being learners right now, can't believe how much the plants have changed already!

EDIT: Ive been reading tank cleaning thread, Upping water changes to 40% twice a week ......

20210503_233611.jpg

This is the Pond Tank, as I call it. It is a 4 foot long 90 gallon unheated community.
The current stock list is:
1 Red Cap Oranda Goldfish
3 Dojo (Weather) Loaches
12 White Cloud Mountain Minnows, a mix of Golden, 24 K, and Standard.
I plan on adding a Veiltail goldfish (preferably bronze) and another Red Cap Oranda.
I feed Bugbites Spirulina Flake (soaked before adding), New Life Spectrum Goldfish Pellet, Aquaic Arts Bottom Feeder Pellet, Blanched Peas, frozen Brine Shrimp, and occasionally Frozen Bloodworms.

The substrate is 60 lbs of Black Imagitarium Aquarium Sand, planted with Corkscrew Vals, Water Sprite, Pennywort, Striped Anubias, and Bucopa. For floating plants I have Hornwort, Water Lettuce, Frogbit, Water Spangles, Giant Duckweed, and regular Duckweed. I moved all of my Marimo Moss Balls into this tank as well.
For hardscape, I have a large agate and several small agates, gifted to me by my mother who is a rockhound, and a large lavarock (with the anubias on it). There are several black plastic tubes added as loach hides, but they do not use them.
There is no heater on this tank, but I will add one before it gets too cold this summer. I am running a Tidal 75 on the tank, and have been doing weekly 50% water changes, but will bump that up to 75% when I add the other two goldfish. I dose with Prime for my water conditioner, and Easy Green and Flourish as my fertilizer, as well as using Thrive Caps and Flourish tabs in the substrate.

The tank has only been running since April 17 (pre cycled filter) and on the 22nd I added my stock. Water parameters are 7.4 ph and 110 hardness.

99D0C4BF-7025-4CD0-8A17-4D3DE2BC3CD2.jpeg

Here is my 55gal (240L) planted tank. 100cm x 40cm x 60cm. It is 4 months old so still a fairly new tank. Currently 4 dwarf gouramis, 6 orange fin danios, 3 leopard danios, 10 platies, some of which are tricolour, 3 Ottos, 1 white cloud minnow, a L134 plec and 25+ cherry shrimp.
The parameters are: ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrate-20ppm, KH-5, GH-12 and ph-7.2.
It is a non co2 tank and i dose 25ml of TNC complete once a week and have root tabs under the swords.
The lighting is a Superfish retro bright LED and a nicrew skyLED set at 70% both on for around 7 hours a day.
The filter is a BOYU EF35 canister and a double sponge bubble filter and the air pump is a Superfish air flow 2 with 1 air stone and a bubble filter.
being a fairly heavily planted tank i do a 40% water change every 2 weeks and once a month i clean the loose dirt on the substrate and trim the plants to a more manageable level but the overall look im going for is a untouched wild look so there is no real structure to it.
I Feed flake food in the morning and frozen food in the evening and once a week ill add algae wafers and a piece of courgette.
First real attempt at a planted tank and so far so good.

63D1CABD-9198-4C4D-915E-BEE7732AFF0C.jpeg

Here is my 55 gallon ‘shrimp tank’.
it’s stocked with about 60(ish) mixed shrimps (neo’s: blues, reds, yellows, and orange. And Hawaiian opae ula), 1 red tailed black shark, 3 honey gourami, 10 zebra danio, and 15 lambchop (pork chop?) rasbora. Oh and one baby guppy (I think it’s a guppy, it came accidentally in a bag of shrimp).
For plants I have a crypto, giant hair grass, cyprunus (?) grass, Java moss, 2 cardinal plants, and a couple other stem plants that I’ve forgotten what they are, and frogbit floating on the right hand side. It’s all low tech, no co2. Substrate is fluval stratum, with a little bit of red gravel for a little pop of color. And white/blue sand for the sandfall.
Filtration is a penn plax cascade 700, and a large sponge filter. Lighting is a hygger 24/7 planted 48” led. All bubbles/sandfall/sponge filter are being run with imaginarium 40-60

I don’t use ferts regularly, but when I have put some in its seachem flourish. The plants do have seachem root tabs underneath as well.
There is a bit of algae growth at the moment, I’ve turned down the lights to try and get it under control, but since it’s outside in my carport it gets a little too much direct sunlight in the am so I’m fighting that battle as well. This tank has only been set up for about a month (it was a 20 gallon long before I moved April 1st).

water parameters are ammonia: 0 nitrites: 0 nitrates: 5-10ppm. I scrape the front and left side glass with my magnetic scrapper about 1-3 times a week. Plants haven’t needed a trim yet, but I have taken some frogbit out a dispersed it amongst my other 2 tanks. Then I feed fluval bug bites flakes once a day between 3 pm and 5pm. Then drop some hikari shrimp pellets in about once a week (they have lots of algae to feast on).
Sandfall was made by me with pvc, and black garden rocks, and a bit of super glue and aqueon silicone.
Hope y’all enjoy it! It’s currently my favorite tank to stare at.

My 55 Gallon Tank

3AB34E5B-17B3-4543-8786-FA6CE9A3D1EA.jpeg

My tank is a standard 55 Gallon Aquarium running with a MarineLand 350 filter, Nicrew SkyLed Plus LED Planted Tank Light, and a heater which keeps it at a consistent 76 degrees.
The substrate is pool filter sand with a few root tabs scattered under the plants. It is planted with Amazon Sword. The hardscape is Dragon Stone and Manzanita Driftwood. The current stock is

1 Electric Blue Acara
12 Bloodfin Tetras
6 Pygmy Corydoras
1 BN Pleco (my sister named it Sticky Lips because he sticks to the glass)

I perform weekly between 30%-50% water changes and substrate vacuums, and I rinse the filter media monthly.

Last edited:
20210505_125632.jpg

Hey i think i just made it before voting!

This is my 75g grow out for koi. Its been set up for almost 3 years. Since my mom bought her house in a town over and started pond keeping actually! Thats where all the koi I raise end up spending their days! I have currently two 3 inch doitsu and one 5 inch hybrid. Also have a 6inch high fin pleco who actually lives in here and they just temporarily board until theyre big enough to not be eaten by wildlife. If anyone has koi they may know the battle of fish digging up plants, so just a couple silk marina ecoscapers to give the pleco some area, as well as caves and tunnels with larger stones for him specifically. I just recently added the terra cotta pots a few weeks ago when the fish were a bit smaller and less confident. Now theyll swim up during feeding and splash haha

I feed fluval bugbites twice a day and omegaone wafers once every two days. Water changes are 50% once a week, tested twice a week, gravel vac every water change or more often if i see it needed. Since the tank is above the kitchen its usually not in need of a heater but i do have an aquatop 300watt for each side in the event its cold that day. As treats they get blanched zucchini, peas and garlic, spirulina insect blend and shrimp. I use a whisper ex70 for this tank but once these koi grow out I'm planning on getting a canister and switching stock so i can plant this tank and hopefully have some cichlids

Ph 7.6, temp is 73°F, nh 0, no3 >10, no2 0, gh 150, kh 180

Driftwood i let just float in this tank and once it sinks i move it to another tank

End of Entries:
Please slowly scroll up as you review the 7 entries and then cast your vote in the poll at the top of this thread. Thanks for participating in our Tank of the Month Contest.

Our popular Pet of the Month contest resumes in mid May. If you have a pet besides fish in your household, we hope you enter it in the POTM contest.

Congrats to Sarabarton76 with your very nicely planted Jewel Lido 55 gallon. Great job and well deserved win!

Coming in 2nd place is OliveFish05 with her awesome 55 gallon beautiful 55 gallon tank. It is a work in progress and has huge potential. Be sure to enter it in a future contest.

Finishing in third place is FishNturt80 with his imaginative 55 gallon shrimp tank with a working "waterfall." Nice job, FishNturt80!

If you didn't enter into the contest or you didn't win, be sure to enter a future contest and show us your progress.

Remember: it's not whether you win or lose that is important - what's important is that you enter and participate in our contests.

Right now, our Pet of the Month contest is running. There are just 5 opening left, so if you have a pet besides fish, enter soon!

You can congratulate Sarabarton76 in the TOTM Winner's thread HERE

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back