Sarabarton76 - May 2021 Tank of the Month Winner!

Fishmanic

The Boss Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
We have a winner in Fishforums.net
May 2021 Tank
of the Month Contest
We had 7 awesome tanks entered in this month's TOTM contest featuring tanks sized 31 gallons and larger, but only one could win...

And the winner is.......
:band:
:hooray:
Sarabarton76
Let's all congratulate her
:drinks:
Here's the winning tank and its description
20210430_204047-2-jpg.135716
Here's my 200l/ 55g jewel Lido. It's 70 x 60 x 50 cm and has a large piece of driftwood taking out some capacity in the middle.
Set up in February. Parameters ammonia 0, nitrates 0, nitrites 0-2.5. PH 7.5

I use the internal jewel filter and lighting but have added an All Pond Solutions 1000l EF - I wanted to overfilter for my impending fry issue and I'm not brave enough to take the internal out.

I also added a small airstone as I think the depth risks issues with oxygenation, but at a lower flow than this size of tank would reccomend.

Plants include elodea, amazon sword, some cryptocoryne, althernantha, a couple of types of hygrophila, java fern and a little salvinia on the surface (which survives rather than thrives).

Understocked at the moment - 2 adult female mollies, 6 x 8 week old fry and about 8 x 4 week old fry. The boys were evicted a few weeks ago to control fry and I'm waiting to be able to identify the sex of the fry. No plans to expand until I know we wont have babies every 2 weeks.

I was using the aquascaper complete - probably not as reliably as I should. Noticed pale plants and some holes in leaves, so switched to seachem flourish a couple of weeks ago and the plants are much happier. Thus may represent me doing a better job rather than fert effectiveness.

Plant wise I'm still learning. The fish like to nibble through the stalks of some, I just replant the floating tops in one of the tanks so the aquascaping is very accidental. Micorcanthenum has not survived my tender touch ha ha!

I do a 20- 40% water change a week depending on time. I've just got confident enough to test only once or twice a week after doing alternate days for a while to make sure I didn't mess anything up. Glass cleaned by my 5 year old so probably variable in standard!

I feed twice a day, I suspect I'm overfeeding but when I feed less more plants get eaten so its a balance I am learning. I use tetra micro granules, plec spiralina wafers, tetrapro algae, frozen bloodworm, and fresh veggies 3-5 x week as available so I mix the variety up.

No big changes planned. I'm just getting used to running the big tank, and waiting on properly segregating boys and girls. Once I feel like I've learned my craft I may consider adding other types of fish.

We are enjoying being learners right now, can't believe how much the plants have changed already!

EDIT: Ive been reading tank cleaning thread, Upping water changes to 40% twice a week ......

Last edited:
OP
Fishmanic

Fishmanic

The Boss Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Congrats to @sarabarton76 with your very nicely planted Jewel Lido 55 gallon tank. Great job and well deserved win!

Coming in 2nd place is @OliveFish05 with her awesome 55 gallon beautiful 55 gallon tank. It is a work in progress and has huge potential. Be sure to enter it in a future contest.

Finishing in third place is @FishNturt808 with his imaginative 55 gallon shrimp tank with a working "waterfall." Nice job, FishNturt808!

If you didn't enter into the contest or you didn't win, be sure to enter a future contest and show us your tank's progress.

Remember: it's not whether you win or lose that is important - what's important is that you enter and participate in our contests.

Right now, our Pet of the Month contest is running. There are just 4 opening left, so if you have a pet besides fish, enter soon!

Last edited:

sarabarton76

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks very much for all the nice words. I'm sorry I didn't manage to say thanks in a timely manner, very soon after the competition ended we went on vacation and as a newbie I was pretty frightened about what I would come home to!

Pleased to report that by following advice I found on here all is well. The tank held up pretty well, the girls only ate some of the plants....

Most reactions