Von Rio (flame) Tetras

kuruptedseed

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Orlando, Fl
I have 9 flame tetras in my 55 gallon tank.. 5 have 2 vertical black bars with silver and red.. The other 4 I assume are female have cream colored bodies with lighter reds.. Lfs says they are female but, I don't trust them as they sounded unsure.. Does anyone know how to sex them?
 
I have 9 flame tetras in my 55 gallon tank.. 5 have 2 vertical black bars with silver and red.. The other 4 I assume are female have cream colored bodies with lighter reds.. Lfs says they are female but, I don't trust them as they sounded unsure.. Does anyone know how to sex them?

You say the females are bigger.. Does that mean they are identical in color? Or do they have different coloration as well as being (portlier)?
 
These are boys (my pic);
flameys1.jpg

The males have a hook shaped anal fin which is tipped with black along the edge, a more slender body in general and the "red" is crimson to purple.

and this is a girly (best net pic I could find);
VonRio(Flame)TetraWFCh_C1250_vsm.jpg

The female has a less hooked more triangular anal fin which is all one colour and has no black, a more rounded main body and the overall colour is orange or orangey red at best.

:good:
 
These are boys (my pic);
flameys1.jpg

The males have a hook shaped anal fin which is tipped with black along the edge, a more slender body in general and the "red" is crimson to purple.

and this is a girly (best net pic I could find);
VonRio(Flame)TetraWFCh_C1250_vsm.jpg

The female has a less hooked more triangular anal fin which is all one colour and has no black, a more rounded main body and the overall colour is orange or orangey red at best.

:good:

Thx for the pix... I think I have 4 females then.. Although my females don't have any black bars or shadow of them.. Almost completely cream/orange/reddish.. Slightly bigger and more rounded.. My males look identical to yours.. I was reading somewhere that they are developing different color morphs/varieties.. So, I wasn't sure if I had all males with 4 color morphs or not u know?!.. I will try and get a few pix up when I get off work then maybe you can tell me what I have! Thanks so much
 

Most reactions

Back
Top