VIDEO: Diver Finds One Of The Ocean’s Rarest Shark Eggs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Many sharks are livebearers but there are lots of egg laying sharks. Mermaid's purses are eggs cases of sharks and rays. (Or are they only called mermaid's purses in the UK?)
I had never heard that term until now...

Maybe because in the UK a purse is a thing a woman keeps her cash in (for a man it's a wallet) while in the US a purse is what we would call a handbag - a small bag which hold a purse, lipstick, keys etc. Though in my case, my handbags tend to be on the large side and I keep so much junk in them that you need to be a weightlifter to carry it :lol: (Purse, card holder, sunglasses in a case, spare reading glasses in a case, notebook and pen, folding umbrella, numerous folding shopping bags, keys.....)

Maybe because in the UK a purse is a thing a woman keeps her cash in (for a man it's a wallet) while in the US a purse is what we would call a handbag - a small bag which hold a purse, lipstick, keys etc. Though in my case, my handbags tend to be on the large side and I keep so much junk in them that you need to be a weightlifter to carry it :lol:
LOL...you sound like my wife

Mermaids purse are actually quite common, at least as far as I know in the UK and in Australia anyhow.

They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and colours so it’s quite likely a lot of folks may have come across one while at the beach and dismissed the finding as a bit of seaweed or kelp.

Interesting little bit of shark and skates trivia. (Yes, some skates lays eggs too!)

This was very cool, thanks for sharing!
If I'd seen that egg without being told what it was, I never in a million years would have guessed it was a shark egg! It looks more like some kind of plant thing, you know? But huge. Like a giant seed pod. I supposed that's still kinda what it is, just from a fish, not a plant :)

I didn't know that there were egg laying sharks before either, so I learned something today!

This was very cool, thanks for sharing!
If I'd seen that egg without being told what it was, I never in a million years would have guessed it was a shark egg! It looks more like some kind of plant thing, you know? But huge. Like a giant seed pod. I supposed that's still kinda what it is, just from a fish, not a plant :)

I didn't know that there were egg laying sharks before either, so I learned something today!
I would have never guessed correctly, either...and I certainly wouldn't use it for a purse...:lol:

Maybe because in the UK a purse is a thing a woman keeps her cash in (for a man it's a wallet) while in the US a purse is what we would call a handbag - a small bag which hold a purse, lipstick, keys etc. Though in my case, my handbags tend to be on the large side and I keep so much junk in them that you need to be a weightlifter to carry it :lol: (Purse, card holder, sunglasses in a case, spare reading glasses in a case, notebook and pen, folding umbrella, numerous folding shopping bags, keys.....)
When married a man doesn't need a wallet.
All the money is in the purse then haha.
nononono joking of course !!

A shame a lot of sharks and rays have become so rare. The vids of having their fins cut of and fishermen throwing only the finless corpses back I think really are disgusting.

I think we humans will never learn.

When married a man doesn't need a wallet.
All the money is in the purse then haha.
nononono joking of course !!

A shame a lot of sharks and rays have become so rare. The vids of having their fins cut of and fishermen throwing only the finless corpses back I think really are disgusting.

I think we humans will never learn.
"I think we humans will never learn."

Sadly, that is truth

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back