Vibrations

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

-cAtFiSh-

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a spare 2 gallonish tank lying around and I want to put a betta in it. I want to put the tank on my shelves in my room which also has my speakers to my stereo/hi-fi on it. I want to put the tank on the shelf just below the one with the speakers on it.
The speakers arent very big but they can pump out a good amount of bass. They have cone shaped spikes attached to the bottom on them to keep the speakers off the wood of the shelves so all the sound doesnt get absorbed.

Would the vibrations from the speakers affect the fish in any way? I would assume that the spikes would decrease the amount of vibrations going through the wood but still.

As a rule you should avoid fish tanks and speakers and all fish are sensitive to vibrations.

Ok some fish handle it more than others, and schooling fish are the worst.

Might want to place it somewhere else if the vibrations are really bad.
But my little 3 gallon has a slight vibration to it b/c of the air pumps beside it and my betta is just fine.

Many people on here have elaborate sound systems near their tanks.

My big tank is in the same room as my 600W RMS surround sound (inlducing 120W sub). They don't even notice the sound. Likewise my small marine tank is on my computer desk right next to the speakers. Still no problems.

I know of no one who has reported any problems with their fish due to a speaker emitting sound.

I have 2 floorstanding speakers next to my tank and I've never seen any reaction of any kind from my fish no matter how loud the music has been.

They may not hear the sound but they can feel the vibration in the water if it's too loud from their lateral line. I don't know how much stress it causes or if they get used to it but it can stress some fish out.

I have had my tank set up for over a year with two speakers either side and one underneith the tank (see pic)

06082006003.jpg

I dont find that the fish get spooked or even notice them when playing music or films. This is a larger tank than yours so you might be less lucky. If i was you just put your hand on the shelf and feel what vibration is transmitted alone the wood when music is played. If you can't feel it neither will the fish.

I can feel it a TINY bit but the spikes I said that were on the bottom of the speakers probably minimise the amount of vibrations going into the wood.
Probably wont be a while til I get the tank up and running yet though. Need some money first :p

So long as the water isn't being disrupted (ie rippling all the time) you should be fine :good:

Most reactions

trending

Back