April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi
i need help!
my cherry shrimp just arrived. they are so small? i bought them on sale $1.89 online but the shipping is expensive. i can get more but iā€™m worried they are small enough for male guppies to eat. they are floating in their bags in aquarium now.
my other 2 aquariums are cooler watertemps.
should i release them into warm water guppy tank or turn up the temps in a goldfish tank or my north american native creek fish?
male guppies follow pregnant females like little cannibals and eat fry. so will they eat my shrimp too?

Never had guppies, but my gut says: "if they catch them they will eat them."
yeah. of the4 bags only 2 had shrimp as far as i could tell. i contacted the place where i bought them from. i donā€™t think they will do anything because i didnā€™t have dead shrimp to photograph. i know my eyesight is getting older, but i think bright red shrimp should be able to see. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

hey to all of you- please tell me if i misunderstood that tiny freshwater shrimp can be in a tank with other fish? are they supposed to be in a tank of their own?

hi
i need help!
my cherry shrimp just arrived. they are so small? i bought them on sale $1.89 online but the shipping is expensive. i can get more but iā€™m worried they are small enough for male guppies to eat. they are floating in their bags in aquarium now.
should i release them into warm water guppy tank or turn up the temps in a goldfish tank or my north american native creek fish?
male guppies follow pregnant females like little cannibals and eat fry. so will they eat my shrimp too?
It should be fine. I had mine with a guppy pair and was worried of eating, and they did eat some babies, but if the shrimp are large enough and there's a lot of plants, then the shrimp should be fine.

It should be fine. I had mine with a guppy pair and was worried of eating, and they did eat some babies, but if the shrimp are large enough and there's a lot of plants, then the shrimp should be fine.
thanks- unless iā€™m losing my eyesight or my mind or both, i canā€™t see any of the shrimp that came today.
maybe a larger kind of shrimp? ghost shrimp are bigger?
the shipping is too expensive to reorder. maybe local petco might sell some ?
thanks for your help.

Yes in my reply I did say IF they could catch them šŸ˜

I don't know how fast guppies are, but I do know that shrimp are pretty conscious creatures and can get out of the way in a jiffy. Little shrimplets or babies might be a different story but then again they have their size on their side because they are smaller to see...

That's been my experience but I do tend to have a lot of plants, rocks, wood, etc in my tanks so I would definitely recommend that ... In fact, without this type of environment I wouldn't recommend shrimp at all.

Just how tiny were they, by the way?

(I wouldn't just let it go if you ordered shrimp and got empty bags, though).

thanks- unless iā€™m losing my eyesight or my mind or both, i canā€™t see any of the shrimp that came today.
maybe a larger kind of shrimp? ghost shrimp are bigger?
the shipping is too expensive to reorder. maybe local petco might sell some ?
thanks for your help.
any lfs, petco or petsmart or whatever should have cherry shrimp. Also, do you have glasses? If your eyesight is that poor surely you have glasses.

I don't know how fast guppies are, but I do know that shrimp are pretty conscious creatures and can get out of the way in a jiffy. Little shrimplets or babies might be a different story but then again they have their size on their side because they are smaller to see...

That's been my experience but I do tend to have a lot of plants, rocks, wood, etc in my tanks so I would definitely recommend that ... In fact, without this type of environment I wouldn't recommend shrimp at all.

hi
they were almost 1/2ā€. i sometimes save guppy fry - why i donā€™t know except the mom in me feels sorry. anyway i release them when they get too big to fit in a grown guppy mouth. so the shrimp are that size.

any lfs, petco or petsmart or whatever should have cherry shrimp. Also, do you have glasses? If your eyesight is that poor surely you have glasses.
thanks. :)
wyes i have glasses for reading. i was being a tad sarcastic. just had cataract surgery last year. physically better. but i should say i canā€™t locate them. iā€™m 71 maybe thatā€™s a weak excuse. lol. i was freaking out looking for them but will check again. maybe they were freaking out too. checked petco online. iā€™ll go there in person- thursdays are when they receive addl. stock.

hi Vanalisa- being curious i googled Spica Regulus - thinking youā€™re from Spain or šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
cute- color me ignorant of outer space. lol
youā€™re from a star cluster šŸ˜ŠāœØ

hi
i need help!
assuming my shrimp were eaten, due to my stupidity ( including having running internal filters!) what is the minimum size and tank necessities just for shrimp?
i have a 10 gallon tank - maybe i could start them alone until they are bigger. or maybe just to have them. ( yeah i know another tank to clean). and should i use any filter. i read sponge filters are good for shrimp babies.
iā€™m sorry to keep bugging all of you , but online( google) searches are not always consistent or correct.
thank you šŸ˜Š

A 10g with a sponge filter (and plants) would be perfect. I have cherry shrimp and started off like that. When the colony got established (and I tired of too many tanks) I moved them to a community tank. It's worth checking inside your filter for the missing shrimp.

5.5G is a good size for shrimp...though they can live in smaller tanks...you'll need a filter that you can attach a mesh pre-filter to, avoids sucking small shrimp into the filter...I like these: https://www.jungleaquashrimp.com/st...er-intake-guards-for-aquariums-shrimps-tanks/

Shrimp do best in well-planted tanks, with lots of hiding spots
thanks! iā€™ve never seen those. do you buy them already made? or buy the mesh and do it yourself? i saw one live shrimp last night. the tank is well planted with fake plants and ceramic logs, huts etc. hope the little guy makes it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back