🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello, i just got a venus flytrap from trader joes. it seems pretty healthy
not really sure how long to soak it in water though,
is there anything else i should watch out for?

I was talking to someone at a farmers market who sells them and he said they have to be kept outside... He says he doesn't bring them in for winter because they are just not an indoor plant. You insulate their area with pine straw and they'll even grow in alaska. Seriously, people keep them there...

Use only rainwater. The water needs to have no mineral content at all. I keep mine inside all year round, they slow down in winter and then grow faster when it warms up.
I was talking to someone at a farmers market who sells them and he said they have to be kept outside... He says he doesn't bring them in for winter because they are just not an indoor plant. You insulate their area with pine straw and they'll even grow in alaska. Seriously, people keep them there...
my area is super dry
is that ok or no

They need to basically be living in a bog garden. I use sphagnum moss to grow them in

They need to basically be living in a bog garden. I use sphagnum moss to grow them in
how do i make one? i have some containers that i grow sheet moss in, could i start a bog with a container, some sheet moss, and distilled water?
planning on putting it outside tomorrow but i think itll need a plastic cover or itll dry right

how do i make one? i have some containers that i grow sheet moss in, could i start a bog with a container, some sheet moss, and distilled water?
planning on putting it outside tomorrow but i think itll need a plastic cover or itll dry right
Don't over think it these are my carnivorous plants growing on the top of my fish tank.
20220419_174943.jpg
20220419_174957.jpg
20220419_175009.jpg

They are fed from the fish tank. But remember I have a rain water tank with virtually no mineral content

I have one. I keep it in a container of water. It will suck up the water from the bottom. Don't use ferts. It is going dormant now for winter but I will keep it in the water so it doesn't dry out. I keep it inside on the window sill in the sunniest spot I have. I took it to the plant barn and the assistant said it was dry and it came back to life!

image.jpg

The light it not really reaching it

View attachment 158271
The light it not really reaching it
Like I said. These are an out door plant... I live in NC which is one of two places in the world where they are native to. The second place is our neighboring state SC... But people can even grow them in cold environments like Alaska if set up properly. What they do is put a base of pine needles that insulate the plant where ever they are. There are people that sell carnivorous plant soils that help venus plants even further...

I've seen these here in New England as indoor plants, as long as they get good enough sun. My son is asking for one, and I want to have it somewhere in his room window, it gets good sun. Just researching more about how to care for it, it's not like insects are just flying/craeling around and it will have a buffet for itself

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back