Veil Tail Betta in 45gal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jimbob1223

Reaction score
So I've had plans to make a 45gal community tank and I wanted to move my male betta from his 6gal planted tank to the community tank. The 45gal would have small fish live livebearers and tetras and from what I have found, I think the Betta would do great in the larger tank if I set it up right. I am not 100% sure if this would work, and I don't want to risk any lives, I just think my Betta would appreciate the upgrade. If anyone has any tips on setting up the tank or does not think it would work, Please tell me because I am new to Betta keeping.
Thanks

Well, it mostly depends on your betta. Some will do fine with a bunch of other fish, and some won't.
What live bearers do you plan on putting in? I have heard that bettas don't like colorful tank mates, but I don't know if that is true. Maybe someone else here will be able to tell you more about that.
As for tetras, I have heard neon tetras are good with bettas. The main thing is that you can't put him with any fish that will nip his fins.
When/if you put him in, watch him very closely for a while. Watch for any signs of aggression or stress from him and the other fish. If he is clamping or nipping his fins, or if the fish are showing aggression, I would take him out.
Keep his 6 gallon tank ready in case you have to separate him again.
Good luck!

Thanks for the response,
I am thinking now that it might not work... the Livebearers that I will have in the tank are Guppies, Mollies and Platties and they are all quite colourful so if the theory that Bettas don't like colourful tank mates is true, it might not work. My Betta can be a little aggressive at times, I have seen him flaring at the single Ramshorn that I keep with him. I think I will give it a try still, and like you said I will keep his old tank ready for a while just in case. :)

Guppies, at least fancy guppies won’t work because bettas often mistake them for another betta due to their long tail.

Mmmm, ok I will stay away from guppies for tank then. Congrats for winning Tank of the Month :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back