Vampire Shrimp and Breeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PlasticGalaxy

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Now I've got two vampire shrimp/giant fan shrimp, I'm looking into breeding them. Apparently it's pretty hard to breed these shrimp since they need to be switched back and forth between freshwater and brackish in order to survive in its young stages, and as such almost all of the shrimp are wild-caught.

Has anyone here bred or even just kept these shrimp? I don't think I've personally come across anyone who has these shrimp, so I'd love to know if anyone's got them and if they've had any success in breeding.

So far I don't know what sex either of them are, but if I can get them to come out at some point I'll make sure to try and get a few good photos to figure it out.

Originally had one shrimp (named Kabal) who shed last Saturday, and now I have another (Kano). Kano (shrimp #2) is much more blue (and smaller, of course) than Kabal (#1), but I've not observed their physical differences well enough to determine whether or not I have a male and a female pair yet.

When I get a job I'm hoping to save up on getting the black corydoras schultzei as well as another vampire shrimp (or two). Right now the two I have are very sociable with one another, and like to stick together.

If I wind up with a male and female pair, I'll definitely make an attempt at breeding them.
...Making some money from it would be nice, too.

Here's a photo of my shrimp right now, labelled up since they're pretty hard to see.

And if anyone was wondering, they're named after the Mortal Kombat characters.
1618147169092.png

Hi I have 3 vampire shrimp the oldest is 4years old, I have male and female. My female has carried eggs a few times but nothing comes of it as they're in freshwater.

Hi I have 3 vampire shrimp the oldest is 4years old, I have male and female. My female has carried eggs a few times but nothing comes of it as they're in freshwater.
Ooh, great! Have you ever seen any territorial behaviour between them? I've heard that they can be territorial in smaller groups but haven't seen any of that so far.

Hi it's just a difference in colour, my female most of the time is the same colour as my male unless she's going to molt.

Hi it's just a difference in colour, my female most of the time is the same colour as my male unless she's going to molt.
Aah alright. I wish I had got them at the same time - I got my first nearly two months apart from the new one - so I could see if their size difference is due to an age difference or sex. If they both come out at the same time, I'll see if I can spot a difference in their sizes/legs/e.c.t.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back