Vallisneria Italian

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jerry Sem

Reaction score
I have a question about my Vallisneria Italian. I planted alot of these about 6 weeks ago and they are growing and spreading very fast. Some of the young plants, off of the shoots have rooted into my substraite (90% of them) and some have rooted, but the roots are far from my substraite (3' or so). It doesn't seem to deter them because they are grow just fine too, and heading for the surface. Should I let these young substraite-less plants continue doing their own thing and finding their way or should I cut them from ma-ma and plant them ?

It is up to you which you prefer. This plant tends to do better when planted in the substrate, and I have no idea how long it may remain healthy if left "floating." I suspect the tangle of plants eventually might be something of a mess, depending how one views it. Being fast growing, it requires lots of nutrients, and the more plants there are competing for these, the less some of them may develop.

I would let them develop a good root structure and then remove them from the mother plant and put them into the substrate at that point.

Cut them from the mother plant and throw them away or give to friends (enemies). They will form an unsightly ball at the top while the ones rooted in the substrate will take over your tank.

Most reactions

Back