Vacation Feeding

jvis0606

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have one of those 7 day feeder pyramids for when I leave on vacation for a week... I know that those battery operated flake feeders are preferred but I dont feel like spending the money unless I have to. Has anyone had experience with the pyramid feeders, are they really that bad? Any other tips for before I leave? I would be so sad to come back to a tank with any dead fish...

I also dont have a timer for the tank light, I was thinking I could rely on room light. Is that bad?

Hi jvis0606 :)

The ideal situation would be for someone to come in and feed them at least once during the week. If necessary, they could do without food, but there are other things to be concerned about too, when you go on vacation.

I see by your sig that your tank is almost finished cycling. If it isn't finished by the time you leave, it will need one or more water changes to keep things in order. Can you have a friend or relative help you out with this? :dunno:

I have heard some horror stories about holiday feeders, but most were involving cichlids. They are such pigs that they end up over eating. If your only gone for a week, they should be fine if youve got someone to feed them once or twice. :D

I just had a disaster with letting my younger brother 15 year of age (he should know better) feed my fish while I was gone for four days I had the food pre measured out in a pill box for each day of the week and I kind of hid the other food but he managed to find it and starting feeding the fish his way. I came back to a tank full of rotting food and completely cloudy water worse than any picture anyone has posted during my time here. This happened just yesterday I would not suggest letting anyone feed your fish except you.

If it's just 7 days I wouldn't bother to feed them just once well before you walk out the door.

I considered that but I do have some 2 month old fry in there... not sure that is the best idea for them?

i don't belive in holiday feeders but if ur gonna use one then get some vitamin supliments in there as well as the feeders only provide material so the fish feel full.

as they all said get some1 to cheak on ur fish. they should be fine with out food for a week and i usually do a water change and if theres' no1 to watch ur fish then i might give it a dose of ammo lock to be sure.

Those holiday feeders are a waste of money. The best thing is:

If you don't want anyone to come to your house, shut off the lights and leave the fish till you get back. They will go into a sleep mode for the time you are a way and believe me they will not starve.

Or

Get someone to come to your house, get some of those empty film roll containers ( the plastic ones) wash them out really well and put the amount of food in each one you would feed. When your house sitter comes to do the fish, open the lid and dump one container in the tank.

I do this all the time and have never come back to any dead fish, dirty tank etc.

Exellent way to feed them and it is cheap as they(photo processing place) will gladly give them to you for nothing.

Happy holidays......bugsy :D

For my bottomfeeder and other fish that will root around for food, I just have bloodworms that live in the gravel, I figure that every one in a while one will come up and will get eaten, or the fish will root around and find them. Also, I use a nutramatic 2x a day auto feeder that I got for $20. I leave the lights on a digital timer, but any timer will do, the normal ones are only like $7. That's barely three gallons of gas to put it into perspective ;)

Very helpful thank you. Puzzling to me why those vacation feeders are so bad. But I do have a mineral pyramid also which I can put in there. Didn't realize they can go into sleep mode for that long. Just worried about the fry.

Most reactions

Back