Uv Sterilizers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GrayScale

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm just doing a little reasearch on some additional items that could make the system more stable.

What effect does a uv sterilizer have on a tank? Does it just help keep the water looking super clear or are there other effects to stabilize chemistry. Ive got a chance at getting a 15w for a decent price but I dont want to spend money on something i'm not sure about.

I'm just doing a little reasearch on some additional items that could make the system more stable.

What effect does a uv sterilizer have on a tank? Does it just help keep the water looking super clear or are there other effects to stabilize chemistry. Ive got a chance at getting a 15w for a decent price but I dont want to spend money on something i'm not sure about.

UV sterilizers kill waterborne bacteria, viruses, algae, fungi, and parasites... On the flip side, they also kill microfauna and other potential food sources for invertebrates. It's like activated Carbon in a planted tank. Sure you get rid of any tannins you have in the water, but you also get rid of the fertilisers you are dosing. Just a general comparison. How affordable is it? You can use this in FW application as well, so depending on the price, it may be worth while to have, just to have. I've seen great Marine systems run without one. I've seen great FW systems run with one.

Does this help any?

llj

For sure. The comparison was on point I didnt think of it that way. :good: it eas a 15w for $60 and after looking it up it was like $110 retail. On my marine it would be pointless to run unless it was fotted before the sump, otherwise I think it might kill off anything beneficial from the refugium.

For sure. The comparison was on point I didnt think of it that way. :good: it eas a 15w for $60 and after looking it up it was like $110 retail. On my marine it would be pointless to run unless it was fotted before the sump, otherwise I think it might kill off anything beneficial from the refugium.

Yes, when I read about them, they are always listed in the "Bells and whistles" category of water maintenance. Nice if you can get one, very expensive for a good one, but not essential to maintain a successful reef. 15W for $60 isn't bad, though. :look:

UV's are hit and miss. Some swear by them others swear at them

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back