Uv Sterilizers.......

Ah I see. I might ahve to add a powerhead then, because I really can't have my flowrate output reduced :/

sorry bloozoo, I dont think I made myself clear.

the flowrate is not reduced. It has no effect on the flowrate in mechanical terms. less cleaning of the tubing is needed to maintain the flowrate, saving time on your tank maintenance

I dont think you would need a powerhead. Ours is set up on an Eheim Classic and it makes no difference that I have noticed to the flowrate. The water just passes through a little extra tubing.

Hope I have explained it better :)

We have a Vectron too, It think what you need to ases is the space you have avaiable for putting the thing in....as you can see from my pic's as the "footprint" of our tank is large it made sence to have it uptop and then it can run where I can keep an eye on it and also makes it easy to check the tubes for Algae growth...as we have soft tubes I just give them a good squeeze every week or so and the algae that pops out is devoured by snails and plecos alike as if it were a treat :D :D :D ...I think we also get this growth as the tubes do run close to the lighting system for the tank so there is the right conditions for growth etc.

We have one on our tank and I think its great....remember it does not stop algae growth as many people assume it will.

erm, so i should be doing the manufacturer for misrepresentation then !!

UV radiation is very effective in controlling bacteria, yeast, moulds, and other pathogens, thus in turn controlling algae growth.
Our biggest advantage is that water flows in direct contact with UV lamp, intensifying its function of fighting green water

and it also states on the literature that comes with the product that it combats 4 different types of algae.

a powerhead sucks water up pumps it trough the clear glass tubbing next to the UV bulb in the box and tubing then puts it back in the tank its a simple as that.

with the ones i get/have, the water is in actual direct contact with the UV Lamp, which is maybe how it can actually deal with the algae ?

Just a guess, but maybe the UV manufacturers are talking about free-floating algae in the water, while Wanda may be talking about algae that is growing on surfaces in the tank? I'm just guessing though...

All I can say is if it stopped it growing I wouldnt have algae growing in the pipes to and from now would I??
"thus in turn controlling algae growth." I think this is the important bit CONTROLLING it is not saying it STOPS just controls and there is a world of difference. What brand do you have spooky that it actually comes in contact with the bulb? In the one we have the bulb is in a sealed unit as shown here....
vecton-schematic.jpg

and the water pumped past that sealed unit the bulb is actually in a quartz sleeve (you can buy these as replcments should you break one ) I would imagine there could be issues with the water coming in actual contact with the bulb....

When you have another look you will probably find it says Reduces bacteria and pathogen levels in the aquarium. Improves water quality for aquarium inhabitants. Significantly reduces the risk of disease spreading in the aquarium. Aids the introduction of new fish into the aquarium. Eliminates the risk of toxic tank syndrome caused by bacterial or algal blooms. Controls the level of yeast and moulds in the aquarium. as this is the standard info from Vectron...Algal BLOOMS being the important part of this.

I have one of these too - Vectron 25w. Cost me £30 on ebay and I'm v pleased with it.

Wanda has described v well all the benefits and how this works but for anyone still confused it might be worth making clear that there are two distict types available.

The vectron type ones are what you might call passive, in that the water has to be delivered and fed through the quartz tube which surrounds the UV bulb. You have two tubes in effect, with the bulb in the centre and the water passing past it in a separate clear tube which surrounds the bulb. These types suit tanks with an external filter as it's just a matter of cutting into one of the tubes going into or out of your filter and putting the UV unit in between. So far as I can see it makes no difference at all to the flow rate as there is no resistance created - it's just like extending one of the two (in or out) tubes by 18" or so.

The original poster said they have a HOB filter so this type isn't going to be any use unless a powerhead or some other pump is used to push the water through the UV sterilizer.

The second type (pictured near the top of the thread) are actually a powerhead with a compact UV bulb and small sponge filter attached. These sit inside the tank and are self contained. Clearly this is the better type for the original poster if the easiest solution is wanted. The ones illustrated are made by 'Fish are fun' I think and can found easily enough.

@ Wanda

From my post on page 1.

Ok, so i went and treated my lovely discus to a shiney new sterilizer last night :)

This is the one i bought which does up to 200L an hour and is £19.99 at my LFS
http://www.aa-aquarium.com/showroom4.php?id=156&level=1

and this is the one in my large tank that does up to 430L an hour and was £39.99.

You notice the difference in water clarity over night by the way. My discus tank looks awesome now. Thats probably due to the algae it has already got shut of :)

http://www.aa-aquarium.com/showroom4.php?id=157&level=1

'from manufacturers website'

Our revolutionary concept of Internal UV Sterilizer unit has made fighting green water ever easier. UV radiation is very effective in controlling bacteria, yeast, moulds, and other pathogens, thus in turn controlling algae growth. Our biggest advantage is that water flows in direct contact with UV lamp, intensifying its function of fighting green water.

As you say Wanda, yours doesnt come in contact with the lamp, so maybe thats why you have some algae. I would assume that the algae needs to be free floating and in the water to be neutralized by my sterlizier. Any existing algae already attached to surfaces would obviously not be affected by this.

Dont get me wrong, im no expert on these things, just going by what i know and what i read.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back