Using Substrate From My Pond

FlyJumper

New Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2007
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I know this probably sounds crazy, but I've got a large koi pond in my backyard and I'm setting up a planted tank and I was wondering if the substrate in the pond could be used as a substrate in my tank? I know this won't work but I'd like to know why. I can't seem to find any nutrient rich substrates at my lfs.

FJ
 
I know this probably sounds crazy, but I've got a large koi pond in my backyard and I'm setting up a planted tank and I was wondering if the substrate in the pond could be used as a substrate in my tank? I know this won't work but I'd like to know why. I can't seem to find any nutrient rich substrates at my lfs.

FJ

the nutrients you are looking for in a good substrate are nitrates, potassium and phosphorus.+ trace elements, all the pond substrate will contain is nitrates, so obviously this wont be as good.. you can buy good planting substrate from good plant-tank retailers... aqua essentials and the green machine i belive oliver knotts nature soil is the best plant substrate on the market, but it all depends on whether you want to pay the price.
 
I know this probably sounds crazy, but I've got a large koi pond in my backyard and I'm setting up a planted tank and I was wondering if the substrate in the pond could be used as a substrate in my tank? I know this won't work but I'd like to know why. I can't seem to find any nutrient rich substrates at my lfs.

FJ

the nutrients you are looking for in a good substrate are nitrates, potassium and phosphorus.+ trace elements, all the pond substrate will contain is nitrates, so obviously this wont be as good.. you can buy good planting substrate from good plant-tank retailers... aqua essentials and the green machine i belive oliver knotts nature soil is the best plant substrate on the market, but it all depends on whether you want to pay the price.

Thanks for the response, other than the correct nutrients being in the substrate would there be a problem with other unwanted organisms in the substrate from a pond?

FJ
 
Leaches and little critters would be living in the mud. The leaches will eat inverts (not suck your blood) and the little critters will live off the infusoria and other micro organisms collecting around the rotting matter.
 
I know this probably sounds crazy, but I've got a large koi pond in my backyard and I'm setting up a planted tank and I was wondering if the substrate in the pond could be used as a substrate in my tank? I know this won't work but I'd like to know why. I can't seem to find any nutrient rich substrates at my lfs.

FJ

the nutrients you are looking for in a good substrate are nitrates, potassium and phosphorus.+ trace elements, all the pond substrate will contain is nitrates, so obviously this wont be as good.. you can buy good planting substrate from good plant-tank retailers... aqua essentials and the green machine i belive oliver knotts nature soil is the best plant substrate on the market, but it all depends on whether you want to pay the price.

Thanks for the response, other than the correct nutrients being in the substrate would there be a problem with other unwanted organisms in the substrate from a pond?

FJ

yes, as saltynay said, you can get critters, but not only that, alot of rotting matter, which could contain diease harmful to your fish, not only to mention it would be a truley messy job and require some serious capping to make sure it didnt come up and cloud the water..
 
Leaches and little critters would be living in the mud. The leaches will eat inverts (not suck your blood) and the little critters will live off the infusoria and other micro organisms collecting around the rotting matter.

If you have leeches living in your koi pond you have massive problems. The fish would eat the leeches anyways so it wouldn't be that big of a deal in an aquarium.
 
A koi aquarium you must be having a laugh that would be huge. The leeches are accepted by the koi due to their depth in the dirt even goldies hunt them down but the population will quickly become established.
 
A koi aquarium you must be having a laugh that would be huge. The leeches are accepted by the koi due to their depth in the dirt even goldies hunt them down but the population will quickly become established.

huh? When did I say anything about having a koi in an aquarium?
 
Sorry I am not really sure where I picked that statement up from. The leeches and other critters will be to many in number to be eliminated byt a few fish eating them.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top