Using Leaf Litter For Infusoria

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Good stuff 
good.gif

I'll have to grab some leaves from the garden.  There'll be plenty kicking about soon enough - I will have to play dodge the land mine with whatever the dogs have left me behind though 
sad.png

sick.gif
 nice! .... thankfully I don't have that problem. I don't have a garden (just communal lawns with a few bushes) and so my dog has to be taken for a walk twice a day and I come back with my little black plastic bag ...

I've pretty much developed a sixth sense lol.  I'm lucky to have a large number of trees in the garden.  Pretty glad too that one of them in an oak so I will give the leaves a go, at least I know there's no contaminants on the leaves from pesticides or traffic fumes.

yes, if it's far enough away from roads they should be fine. The tree I've been using is in a wooded area a good 5 minutes walk away from the road so it should be safe :)

okay .... time to resurrect this 

Today I was walking in the woods (ankle deep in mud and water thanks to the recent storms) with my doggy when I came across a line of trees covered in catkins ... I thought 'aha, catkins means alder trees, alder tree means alder cones' Yey!

The trees where covered in cones and so I began breaking a few off. I did check the ground to see if any had fallen but with the mud and water I couldn't see any. I have no idea if these cones are safe to use when they've not fallen from the tree ... I've no idea if the same rules as leaves apply or not.

So .... over to you guys ... anyone know the answer?

So presuming someone does know the answer now what do I do with these cones? Put them into my external filters? Boil them and use the water? Some advice and thoughts on them would be great as I don't know!

I'm not wanting to use them for infusoria but for staining my water in my main tank. I didn't want to start a new thread when this one is relevent :)

I have to say I've never heard of cones being used before.  I'd be interested to find out though!

I'm still trying to find out if they are safe to use when I've collected them from the tree! No one seems to know so right now they remain in the bag I put them in

I've used them before a lot. Picked them mostly from the trees. I've never had any problems with them. However you do need to rinse them thoroughly. As there can still be seeds in them. These will germinate when they are placed in the tank. In my opinion, doesn't it look very good to have all these small floating sprouts on the water surface.

brilliant, thanks Bubbelzzz, that's exactly what I needed to know 
good.gif

I have been waiting for responses, as I've never used these and can't remember coming across the issue in my research.  However, I would caution that fry are much more sensitive than mature fish so what might be "safe" for adult fish may not be for fry.  I know you said main tank, Akasha, but spawning and eggs could be similarly affected.

My second caution is using anything that is not dead dry.  I wouldn't.  I have read some who don't fuss over non-dry wood, or leaves, but this is not advisable as the articles we have previously cited indicate.  I see the same dangers with any "live" object that has the capacity to leech something besides tannins into the water.  I don't know what may be in these cones, and I would want to know that before using them.

Byron.

Hi Byron and thanks for your input - always good to read your replies. The cones in question are completely dry - I believe they are green in the spring and summer turning brown through Autumn and Winter. I plan to keep a close watch on the trees I got them from as I want to see if the cones actually fall from the tree at some point or not.
The tree's themselves were bare of any leaves which would point to a tree in it's winter 'dormant' state. If I pluck up the courage to use these cones I will be washing them well and allowing them to dry out in the airing cupboard for a week or two. I then plan to add one or two cones to my filter in a media bag/cut up stocking. 

As to using them in my fry tank ... I need much more information first before risking delicate baby fish. I'm having limited success keeping these baby cories alive as it is!

Byron said:
I have been waiting for responses, as I've never used these and can't remember coming across the issue in my research.  However, I would caution that fry are much more sensitive than mature fish so what might be "safe" for adult fish may not be for fry.  I know you said main tank, Akasha, but spawning and eggs could be similarly affected.

My second caution is using anything that is not dead dry.  I wouldn't.  I have read some who don't fuss over non-dry wood, or leaves, but this is not advisable as the articles we have previously cited indicate.  I see the same dangers with any "live" object that has the capacity to leech something besides tannins into the water.  I don't know what may be in these cones, and I would want to know that before using them.

Byron.

These cones have the tendency to not drop when they are completely dried out. When these cones are brown and the "scales" opened up so the seeds can come out, they will most likely be ready to be picked.
My idea was to pick the ones that where dried out on the branches as they are less likely to contain fungus or bad bacteria.

the one's I have are brown and 'opened up' so I guess those are right then :D Thanks again 

Fascinating read that.  I'll have to keep my eyes open for some.

let us know how you get on :)

Most reactions

Back