Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

using established filter to establish new tank

Discussion in 'Cycle your Tank' started by max22, Jul 8, 2019.

1. max22

max22 New Member

Hey, I have a filter that I've been using in my 2.2 gals that had a betta in it for a few months before an upgrade and is now a hospital tank. This filter is my most established filter but the tank is not in use. I recently got a new 20 long which has a filter of its own. I am doing a fish cycle with 2 balloon mollies and a few ghost shrimp, I added a double dose of tetra safe start but the balloon mollies are pigs and produce a lot of waste. I'm concerned about ammonia obviously, but I don't want to do a water change or gravel vac already because the tetra safe start was only added 2 days ago and declorinator will stall the cycle. I have moved the smaller well-established filter into the 20 long as well as the filter I plan to keep in it, will this be effective in helping to colonize bacteria and keep ammonia at a low as possible reading, or will it weaken the established filters bacteria. Thanks!

2. Byron

Byron Member

If you have fast growing plants, especially floating plant species, put them in the tank with the mollies. Mollies are highly sensitive to any ammonia so this was not a good idea to begin with, but what's done is done.

3. Deanasue

Deanasue Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator Tank of the Month Winner!

If the filter has remained wet in tank water and it has not been long since betta was moved then yes, it should help the cycle.

4. max22

max22 New Member

Thank you for your replies,
    I have multiple floating water sprites in the tank one that has a large amount of "water roots". The tank is also well planted other wise. I should have researched a little more I was not aware mollies were specifically susceptible to ammonia poisoning. There are some shrimp too will they eat the waste or do they strictly eat uneaten food and alge?
    And yes Deanasu, the filter has been running since the betta tank was upgraded I just moved it right over from a well-established tank. WIll this heavily boost the Bacteria?

5. Deanasue

Deanasue Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator Tank of the Month Winner!

Yes! I have had tanks cycled by the next day actually. If not then it won’t take long. Yay!

6. Byron

Byron Member

Your live plants especially the floating ones will seal the deal. They are ammonia sinks. You're lucky!