🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Full reds in a breeding tank...
They tend to eat their fry that's why I put a mop in there for those newborns to hide... and it seems that those females like the mop as well...
400075161_2065804000437348_6267466778013897073_n.jpg400008497_2065804073770674_932719286056959296_n.jpg400083218_2065804150437333_4891095038717210989_n.jpg

I use mops for killies and rainbows, and for emergency hiding places when things get temporarily rough in a tank. I have a bottom mop in a tetra tank now, hoping for eggs.
Acrylic mops are ugly, but extremely functional. Like @emeraldking , I make them, rinse them in hot water and get to work with them.

Another trick with cannibalistic livebearers is to go to the dollar store and but a 'topiary ball' in the craft section. They are hollow inside and very spiked outside. The adults hate the spikes and the fry like the safety inside. I used them with Brachyrhaphis livebearers, a group that will never qualify as supportive parents.

I use mops for killies and rainbows, and for emergency hiding places when things get temporarily rough in a tank. I have a bottom mop in a tetra tank now, hoping for eggs.
Acrylic mops are ugly, but extremely functional. Like @emeraldking , I make them, rinse them in hot water and get to work with them.

Another trick with cannibalistic livebearers is to go to the dollar store and but a 'topiary ball' in the craft section. They are hollow inside and very spiked outside. The adults hate the spikes and the fry like the safety inside. I used them with Brachyrhaphis livebearers, a group that will never qualify as supportive parents.
The topiary ball thing reminds me of my guppy fry hiding inside my old box filter so many years ago . Give guppy fry a place to hide for a little while , feed them and soon they will be big enough that the adults won’t bother them anymore .

@emeraldking , I make them
I don't make them anymore. I can buy these mops for just € 0,89 each. So, for this price I won't spend too much time anymore on making them myself. And they're made of cotton, so it won't hurt those fish.

Again, I'm in North America, and these things are rarely sold. Breeding fish is out of fashion here.
Then I should send some over...

Most reactions

Back