Using A Large Heater In A Small Tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ethan040

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a 200w rena indestructible heater as a backup but i need it to make a tank up and the biggest i have spare is 60ish litres, would this heater be ok?

Thanks

It would do fine probably but you need to set it on a way lower temperature than the intended one.
I have a 250W heater in about 115-120 litre of water and it is set on 19.5 degrees but it heats the tank up up to 24-25 degrees according to the thermometer. It's quite a difference so you need to monitor your temperature for a good few days before you are satisfied and the temperature is stable.

Only danger of using a heater that is too big is that if it fails it will cook your fish real quick!

It would do fine probably but you need to set it on a way lower temperature than the intended one.
I have a 250W heater in about 115-120 litre of water and it is set on 19.5 degrees but it heats the tank up up to 24-25 degrees according to the thermometer. It's quite a difference so you need to monitor your temperature for a good few days before you are satisfied and the temperature is stable.

surely that is an internal thermostat issue though , a large heater in a small tank will achieve the required temperature quicker than a small one but should cut off as required ....

Then my heater must be faulty then, but besides the temperature issue there isn't any other problems with it :/
I think it could be because the water flow fools the heater into heating up a bit too more than desired then?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back