Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Used aqueon algae remover now fish staying at top of tank

Discussion in 'Algae Removal' started by Michael Ohair, Nov 15, 2019.

  1. Michael Ohair

    Michael Ohair New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2019
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had an algae problem that is now gone. I used the algae remover power the directions, but ever since I first put it in there the fish have stayed st the very top of the tank. They won't eat or leave it. Any ideas. Thanks
     
  2. seangee

    seangee Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2008
    Messages:
    1,909
    Likes Received:
    303
    Location:
    Berks
    Do a large water change as soon as possible, at least 50% but 75% would be better. Use de-chlorinated water at a similar temp to your tank water.

    Algaecide is toxic, regardless of what the manufacturer says. Also a lot of dead algae produces a lot of ammonia and uses O2.
     
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kritastrophe

    Kritastrophe Fish Crazy

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2019
    Messages:
    212
    Likes Received:
    87
    Algaecides contain active ingredients that are usually harmful to fish. Most of these say safe for fish but in fact are not. I would do a large 75% water change to try to dilute any remaining algaecide. Also make sure you remove any remaining algae as algae traps anything in the water to include chemicals. After water changes hopefully you see some improvement.

    As far as your fish not eating do the large water change and try feeding again. If they don’t eat anything in about five minutes remove the food and try again tomorrow. You could also try frozen bloodworms or live food and see if they will eat that. How long have they been refusing to eat?
     
    • Like Like x 1
  4. nic1

    nic1 Member

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2014
    Messages:
    763
    Likes Received:
    70
    Location:
    GB
    And I would also do large water changes every day until they are acting normal again... And also put some carbon in the filter.... Good luck
     
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Michael Ohair

    Michael Ohair New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2019
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    0
    I did a big water change with my gravel vacuum and took out the decorations to clean them as well. Checked the water and ammonia/nitrite were both 0. Looks like the youngest fish is going to die but hopefully the rest get better. I'll change the water every day. I have filter cartridges, would it make sense to change that or is that too big a change.
     
  6. seangee

    seangee Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2008
    Messages:
    1,909
    Likes Received:
    303
    Location:
    Berks
    Without knowing what cartriges or other media you have I would say leave them for now. By all means rinse them but its more important to get rid of the algaecide and not risk affecting your filtration. Dilution should be sufficient - as @nic1 suggests daily changes would be a good idea for the next few days.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  7. nic1

    nic1 Member

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2014
    Messages:
    763
    Likes Received:
    70
    Location:
    GB
    Don't change the filter cartridge, you will lose to much of the good bacteria, just do water changes for now, don't worry if you don't have Any carbon as the water changes should have made a big difference already. I was once told that you only learn the right way when you get something wrong... Next time algae strikes check back here,,
     
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Michael Ohair

    Michael Ohair New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2019
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you. I'll leave the filter alone. 2 fish have died but the others are starting to move around more. So hopefully the worst is over. I'll keep water changes going until they are back to normal.
     
  9. seangee

    seangee Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2008
    Messages:
    1,909
    Likes Received:
    303
    Location:
    Berks
    Glad to hear it. Don't worry about them not eating. Drop a tiny bit in and if they come rushing over feed them. If not just remove it. They will eat when they are ready.
     

Share This Page