Use of Tylenol on Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kribensis12

I know where you live
Reaction score
Yes - this post was meant to grab your attention.

Now here is the scenario:

Many years back (10?), I was at a fish auction and there were two mature gold angelfish sitting in a bag - they looked dead. Breathing slightly, but completely still.

I felt terrible for them and bought them for $1 (almost dead, no one wanted them) and wanted to at least get them some fresh water.

A former moderator from this forum (Tolak) was there and he helped me revive them - he tool a tylenol pill and crushed it - adding a little bit of the powder to the fish. We did not have any fresh aquarium water, so they stayed in the same bag the whole time.

Within minutes, the fish were 100% back to normal and went home with me to live a long, healthy life.

So - my question is this - has anyone ever done something like that before and is there literature/experience that you can share on doing emergency "revivals" like this?

**** I am not recommending medicating your tanks with Tylenol or any other type of human medicine. I do know that cattle dewormer is used on fish, so I can't say it's an impossible thought - just curious if any one has experience/data on it.

Last edited:
That is an interesting observation. Acetaminophen is a strange choice in that is is actually quite a strong drug, it is one of the major causes of liver damage in the US though that is usually in conjunction with alcohol but it is still a powerful drug. I would think it would be easy to overdose. I haven't heard of anything like this, though I would be interested in learning more.

I’ve just had a Google (the place where everything is true 😉 ) and in the UK it’s known as paracetamol, a very widely used, over-the-counter medication that I think a lot people don’t understand the dangers of. Anyway, back to Google..there is a person on another forum (Aquarium Advice) stating, much against the option of everyone else, that he puts one tablet a week into his tank and has done for 3 years. Originally to treat white spot and ongoing tank maintenance. This was a 2013 post?!

Though I am interested in how it is used, and if it helped a nearly dead fish, there is no way I would suggest regular use of a drug that is normally metabolized in the liver (assuming it works in fish like it does in people). I wonder how long the 2013 poster's fish lived in general.

Very interesting. I did a google too, @NannaLou and saw that as well - though I would never advise (as you) to do what that 2013 keeper did.

Just wonder if things that like could be used as a "rescue" med like I did. There is no denying it - it worked for those angels and they (appearance wise) did not suffer from it. So I'm just not sure.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back