Use Declorinator When Fishless Cyling?

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

stackem evs

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

Just looking through the internet, and a post at ####.co.uk says that while doing water changes when doing a fishless cycle you should not use declorinators that sequester ammonia. Does this amply to almost all water change products. Eg would "tapsafe" be safe to use and should it be used? If not what would people recommend.

I assume the last major water change (50-75%) before adding fish must include some form of dechlorinator in it. But I do not wish to affect the ammonia and nitrite, which I'm assuming is what would happen according to this post.

Thanks

Hi,

Just looking through the internet, and a post at ####.co.uk says that while doing water changes when doing a fishless cycle you should not use declorinators that sequester ammonia. Does this amply to almost all water change products. Eg would "tapsafe" be safe to use and should it be used? If not what would people recommend.

I assume the last major water change (50-75%) before adding fish must include some form of dechlorinator in it. But I do not wish to affect the ammonia and nitrite, which I'm assuming is what would happen according to this post.

Thanks

Chlorine and chloramide will knock back your nitrifying bacteria, so I always use a dechlorinator, whenever putting fresh water in a tank. Not sure what effect it has on the ammonia to be honest. Look out for ones that neutralise the chloramide too. Definitely use it on the last water change.

yeah water conditioners can help to reduce ammonia..... in a pretty small way. i wouldn't worry about it.

fill your tank with dechlorinated water to start off with, then you fishless cycle and shouldn't need to do a water change until just before you add fish when you do a really big one, and you should use dechlorinated water then too. :)

Most reactions

Back