Urgent need help - Superfish Aqua Flow 50 Problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wardmolly

Reaction score
Had a 30l tropical fish aquarium for a month now, originally came with a very noisy shabby filter, which we had to stop using due to the noise (tank being in my bedroom). After using that, I dug out an old Superfish Aqua Flow 200 (I know too big for a 30l tank), which worked perfectly for a week. I just yesterday ordered the Superfish Aqua Flow 50 (new), being the same brand obviously but a better size for my tank, had it installed for 6 hours, worked perfectly and was very quiet. Now, all of a sudden it has started making a kind of vibrating noise which only happens when the filter is near the tank wall - for info it was installed correctly, there is no dirt near the propeller at all which is where the noise is coming from.

Any tips at all?! Very gutted as assumed the 50 filter would work just as well and as silent as the 200 one, but now given the vibration noise, is being just as loud as the original rubbish filter which came with the tank. Very grateful for any responses or advice as sick of wearing earplugs! Have checked for dirt all on the filter, is installed correctly - please help.

Sounds like it's motor is too close to the wall and causing vibrations. Also look for other sources. I was once ready to get mid of my filter due to impeller noise when I located a small air pump around the back of the tank - just rattling away. Finally had to set it on top of my LED lights (the only place it didn't vibrate) and hope it doesn't tumble into the water but I like life on the edge. Impeller noise in some filters does increase over time but you've obviously not had this new filter that long. It doesn't have to be touching to set off a vibration sound, even nearly touching can do it, just not as likely. Another possibility is that you need to do a complete clean of the filter including removing the impeller and make sure a small leaf or something didn't get caught down there.

Thanks for the reply! In a bit going to fully inspect it, I don't suppose it is dirty at all but will have a look, literally the most irritating thing as you're correct, it's vibration from being in contact/near the wall, which definitely shouldn't be happening, thanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back