URGENT!!!! my female is bloated...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

luvmyfish

Reaction score
Please help us. Our female betta is so bloated that she sinks to the bottom. He face faces the rocks because of it. She swims once in a while but not often. It has been this way for about 1 1/2 weeks. I even went out and bought the maracyn 2 meds. that did nothing for her. She was in a community tank, but I have had her out for 3 days now, by herself. And no difference. Please help. She looks awful. She doesn't eat either. :no:

Diagnosing fish is always hard to do. She might just be constipated--in which case don't feed her for a couple of days and then only feed her small amounts (perhaps more often throughout the day) and she should recover. Some people say a boiled green pea (smushed up) fed to her helps.

She may be egg bound. If so, if she doesn't mate to get rid of the eggs, she'll either reabsorb the eggs and be fine, drop the unfertlized eggs and be fine or die.

But, she might have dropsy, especially since she won't eat. Dropsy is almost always fatal, especially when they stop eating. It is internal, so the kidneys and things get infected so they no longer work and the fish retains liquids (thus the bloating). If you can catch it in it's early stages, you can try feeding your fish antibiotics so the med gets inside where it can do some good, and then also use an antibiotic in the water (Kanacyn is good since it's suppose to be absorbed through the skin). However, I've never been able to save a fish that has dropsy. If her scales start sticking out, it's definitely dropsy but dropsy doesn't always make the scales bristle outwards.

Thanks
What is weird though is our male betta was deathly ill once. He never ate swam, or moved. He just layed at the bottom. He was going to die i thought. His scales looked funny, and his fins were almost completely gone. Like they had been eaten away. He had no fins to swim, and he is kicken more than ever now. How can he live though that and she can't live though this?

luvmyfish said:
Thanks
What is weird though is our male betta was deathly ill once. He never ate swam, or moved. He just layed at the bottom. He was going to die i thought. His scales looked funny, and his fins were almost completely gone. Like they had been eaten away. He had no fins to swim, and he is kicken more than ever now. How can he live though that and she can't live though this?
try some betta bax these fish does real well on that abd add some salt if he cant go poop salt will help

Salt? Ok. Salt from the pet store? Aquarium salt? She is really pretty but I don't know why she looks like this. They are strong fish but I don't know about her. How much salt would I add to a tiny tank. (a tank about 6 inches wide and 7 inches tall? Please help

a teaspoon do not use table salt get you salt from the lfs make sure it is Aquarium salt try this first and see what it does if this doesnt work then it is probally drospy where she isnt eating she will probally die

Most reactions

Back