Urgent Information: Soap

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Phantom Thief

Population Control Volunteer
Reaction score
I need to know everything as regards to the effects of soap in the aquarium, including symptoms in the fish and how to get rid of it. I did a major aquarium overhaul today and there appears to be some soap residue in the aquarium. The fish are fine, 4 hours on, but I've only just noticed a slight amount of foaming in my sump filter, something which didn't happen previously. I also put a little more dechlorinator in than needed, does that by any chance foam up?

Thanks guys.

Soap and fish are bad.. It takes the film off their bodies exposing their scales to infection. Id try to skim the top of the water off and the foam... I know that foaming can occur with dechlorinator so it could be that as well

I would do a water change asap. I would be concerned that anything in the water has the possibilities of getting absorbed into the fish through its gills. But I don't know much on how a fishes gills work, so I could be wrong.

Mikaila31

Did you actually clean the tank etc with soap? :sick: As said before, you must do a water change if there is a chance there is some left.

my dechlor foams, if your fish are not in crisis state, observe for a while- if they seem ok, it will be the dechlor, if they start to get unhappy, it may be soap. either way, fill your fish bucket with dechlorinated water ready just in case you need to haul the fish out so you can strip the tank to get rid of the soap.

Most reactions

Back