Upscale Little Tank To Larger Tank, Or Larger Tank Mean Larger Species

I have got the dimensions of the tank... and its a beast! 300 x 50 x 60 (cm) so around 900liters.

It has residence already for 2 large common plec and one fairly large albino red tailed shark.... which seems very shy. it has 4 x 600lph powderheads and a aqua one 2450 filter.

options options options!!!

200 neon tetras and the plecs would look awesome

haha it would, i'm fancying some angels and dwarf cichlids tbh, just put some alder cones and almond leafs in the filter and should soften the water well. But still not sure... because it a display tank... the angel fish will be good cos they are easy to see and the dwarf cichlids are for those who spend a bit more time and like watching them going abotu their buisness

Oops. Sorry to have not stuck to the thread - i lost you :crazy: Just to weigh in on the gouramis and angels thing - I've found that angels can be extremely territorial towards gouramis (especially when angels pair - which they will do if you have a large group - which you will have because that's one BIG TANK) You'd probably be safer sticking to New World cichlids.

Having said that, 900 litres is so huge that I think they'd probably have enough territory without getting nippy.

And the hundreds of neon tetras thing does seem appealing, but I'm pretty sure it would get boring after a while. Plus, think how much it would cost! :lol:

Oops. Sorry to have not stuck to the thread - i lost you :crazy: Just to weigh in on the gouramis and angels thing - I've found that angels can be extremely territorial towards gouramis (especially when angels pair - which they will do if you have a large group - which you will have because that's one BIG TANK) You'd probably be safer sticking to New World cichlids.

Having said that, 900 litres is so huge that I think they'd probably have enough territory without getting nippy.

And the hundreds of neon tetras thing does seem appealing, but I'm pretty sure it would get boring after a while. Plus, think how much it would cost! :lol:

Yeah i'm favouring a couple of types of apistogramma maybes some columbian rams or something too, as its very long... think i'll beable to get away with them claiming terratorys. I can get neon tetras for under 70p so a good size group... not hundreds but 30 or something will be cheap enough... getting hold of cichlids other than malawi ones are quite difficult here... and not keen on agression levels of them, i need it to be a very peacefull tank really.

I took some photos when i went to check the filter and dont some water samples and a general tidy up the other day... so watch this space :)

why not have a look at clown loaches?

Yeah i'm going to have a look at them and get 6-8 depending on price and take the gouramis out the equation. They should be impressive in a tank that size with some angel fish :)

I have a few befor and after pics of my little tidy up of the bigg'n they are not the best... but yeah get the idea :)

So her is a couple befor i had a tidy up
31.jpg

And a step back view

032.JPG

And after.
38.jpg

33.jpg

I am looking forward to adding a big shoal of tetras, small group of young angels and a couple of pairs or trios of nannacara or columbian rams, maybes kribs... aswell as a few other bits and bobs...

Still open to stocking suggestions, subject to cost, compatability and availability.

And after.
View attachment 67954

View attachment 67955

I am looking forward to adding a big shoal of tetras, small group of young angels and a couple of pairs or trios of nannacara or columbian rams, maybes kribs... aswell as a few other bits and bobs...

Still open to stocking suggestions, subject to cost, compatability and availability.
know it would probs be alot of work but have you not considered changing it to play sand to keep cost down as it like £3 for 15kg and having a huge school of corys, a big school of cardinal tetras as there supposidly immune to tetra disease and stand out more, some bristlenoses to keep algea down if it gets any, some bolivian rams our the angels, so many nice fish could go in this tank, and also where is this tank in shields is it in a chippy? as if am working down there anytime soon will go have a look

[/quote]
know it would probs be alot of work but have you not considered changing it to play sand to keep cost down as it like £3 for 15kg and having a huge school of corys, a big school of cardinal tetras as there supposidly immune to tetra disease and stand out more, some bristlenoses to keep algea down if it gets any, some bolivian rams our the angels, so many nice fish could go in this tank, and also where is this tank in shields is it in a chippy? as if am working down there anytime soon will go have a look
[/quote]

It is in a gym mate... i would love too change the substrate, but i think it is too much work really... if it was my personal tank, without a doubt it would have black sand and a huge school of peppered or albino corys. I may add some patches of sand play sand, so i can accomodate for corys better, but would like to consider something suited to that substrate. I have my rio 125 half sand, half gravel, and the corys mix in both, but i have noticed they probe the gravel, where in the sand they just shovel along.

The cardinals is a good call, and going to price some tomorrow, but i can get neons cheap... so it depend on that really, i am a fan of neons anyways. My neons are beautiful, so vibrant. Also massive... like 5cm a couple of them... i dont know whats in my water, but i have some super sized platy, neons, and thinking about it my male dwarf gourami is a fair old size now too.

I'm just adding stock week by week so wont be until 4-5 weeks till it looks good enough, i also need to get some real plants in their, i stuck in a couple of bunches of alodea as it was available from my tanks. But need to go and buy some really.

some java fern and anubais would be good attatched to that big piece of wood, maybe some crypts and vallis aswell. and am sure if you were going to buy like 30 cardinals you would get a good discount ring around see what shops have to offer.

some java fern and anubais would be good attatched to that big piece of wood, maybe some crypts and vallis aswell. and am sure if you were going to buy like 30 cardinals you would get a good discount ring around see what shops have to offer.
Yeah, i can get 30 neons for £20, so of the cardinals are £25 or something, i'd be good to go, i have had that price from two places for the neons. I could always mix them if i want to add cardinals later, they will mix fine i'm sure, but would be better just all cardinals i think.

Yeah, i can get 30 neons for £20, so of the cardinals are £25 or something, i'd be good to go, i have had that price from two places for the neons. I could always mix them if i want to add cardinals later, they will mix fine i'm sure, but would be better just all cardinals i think.
I have neons aswell, but they are quite fragile and if they all died at once I would get cardinals but that not gonna happen so if 1 sadly does die I just get more neons to replace as they are lovely in nice groups when there all coloured up.

I have neons aswell, but they are quite fragile and if they all died at once I would get cardinals but that not gonna happen so if 1 sadly does die I just get more neons to replace as they are lovely in nice groups when there all coloured up.

I havent had any die on me, i have only had a couple fish die on me overall, one didnt travel well, and looked peaky from acclimation and died within 24 hours, a betta wedged itself under a rock so drown, and a zebra danio got the wrath of my male gourami defending his "surface patch" in the floating weeds. Other than the odd jumper i have been lucky.

If i get the cardinals cheap enough i will get them, just another fish species to get an experience of.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back