Upgrading To Larger Tank

VespertineStar

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Dec 14, 2007
Messages
165
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
GY, UK
Hi Guys

I'm going to be upgrading from a 90l Roma to a 240l Roma soon and I was wondering if there was a way to avoid having to cycle the new tank as I did with the 90l when I got it because I don't really have the space for both at the same time for very long.

Matt
 
Take all of the filter media from the 90l and arrange it in the 240l filter, along with some of the 240l filter media of course. :)

And congrats on the upgrade.
 
I have started up a second tank, rather than upgrading to a larger tank. For our 240litre to give the filter a little jump start I rised out the filter media from my 110litre Juwel tank into a bucket and then poared the water and the "goodness" into the new tank. I then added some ammonia to give the bacteria something to do.

It hasn't cycled the tank as qickley as adding media directly into the new filter, but was processing the Ammonia over to Nitrites almost straight away. I didn't want to remove the filter media as we will be continuing to run the smaller tank as well.

I haven't really had a chance to get things properly going with the new tank as I've been ill for the last few days and haven't been able to build up the strength to fiddle...
 
Thanks for the replies guys. I am not planning on using the old tank again right away so could I run both filters together for a while and then simply remove the old filter after a couple of weeks? They are both external filters.

Also, what's the best way to do water changes now I'm moving up in size? I don't think my 1 gallon bucket is gonna cut it.
 
when i water change...

i siphon 1 bucket, empty it and re siphon :good:

or have the siphon tube connected out side to water the plants etc.

what you want to do is fine!


you will basically just boot up the new filter alongside the old mature one :)
 
Buy a bigger bucket? Or diy a python.

Couldn't you just exchange filter media?
 
Lol I could very well buy a bigger bucket. Good to know I can run both filters at once though, saves a headache and trying to convince the family that I need two tanks in the living room at once lol. Not sure about exchanging filter media as the current one is a large piece of sponge and I think the one that comes with the Roma has 3 compartments and I would like to conserve the filter media to set up the smaller tank again later on in a different location.

On to further questions; 50 gallon enough for a few Electric Yellow Labs?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top