Upgrading To A Bigger Tank

The Mighty Boosh

New Member
Joined
May 18, 2007
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi everyone

I would like to upgrade my aquarium if at all possible, I currently have a 100 litre fluval thing, and think I can fit a 180l bow fronted tank into the same space (its only a slightly larger footprint and should fit with a squeeze) so I'd have almost twice as much water to play with as it were...

My question is, how do I manage the actual move? Where do I put the fish while I take the old aquarium out and put the new one in, then cycle it etc? I will of course use my mature filter media but if I just put all of my fish straight into the new one would they be ok?

I have two other smaller aquariums: a 50 litre with a pair of kribs(who still won't breed!), and a 90l with some juvenile angel fish. I guess I could put some in here but they would be horrendously crowded for a while, and I want to upset the fish as little as possible

The tank in question is stocked mainly with rainbow fish, some corydoras, a small plec and a lone firemouth

I wanted to ask this before I splash out on a new tank (then I need to convince the wife haha!)

Thanks
 
Get your hands on a descent sized lidded and water tight bucket.Start off by draining the tanks water into the bucket so that it is almost filled to the brim, and if there is any other large buckets it might be useful to keep some more of the tanks water.
Then, unplug the tank heater and filter, place in the bucket and plug them in again.
Catch all your fishes then change the tanks over asap.Fill up, but not completely.Then, using another heater (presumably you have got a larger one for the 180) heat up the water.When it's close to the bucket temp ( 1-2c give or take) pour the old tanks water in (if you managed to get another bucket), and then the fish with the old tanks water.
As you said use the already cycled media, it should be fine.
 
Get your hands on a descent sized lidded and water tight bucket.Start off by draining the tanks water into the bucket so that it is almost filled to the brim, and if there is any other large buckets it might be useful to keep some more of the tanks water.
Then, unplug the tank heater and filter, place in the bucket and plug them in again.
Catch all your fishes then change the tanks over asap.Fill up, but not completely.Then, using another heater (presumably you have got a larger one for the 180) heat up the water.When it's close to the bucket temp ( 1-2c give or take) pour the old tanks water in (if you managed to get another bucket), and then the fish with the old tanks water.
As you said use the already cycled media, it should be fine.
Yup sounds about right, I would also acclimatise them a bit, like you do when you get fish back from the fish shop. It can be done relatively quickly but saves the shock of what would be the equivalent of a 75% water change!
 
Big bucket - check

Thanks guys, that all sounds very sensible and easy to accomplish...

Now the difficult bit of convincing the wife to allow me yet another fish tank, albeit to replace the old one!!!!

(The one I want is a Hagen Fluval Vicenza 180 as it is the perfect size - The only problem is it doesnt seem to sell without the cabinet which i don't want)
 
i think its coz the tank is drilled for the fluval external, therefore the cabinets would have holes in accordingly, so any old stand would not do unless you drill holes into it.
 
I don't have a cabinet as such, it will go in a recess on one side of the chimney breast which has an old, victorian built in cabinet. I could drill this fairly easily I guess, although I'm sure the original house feature would be completely trashed!

Also - the recess is almost exactly the size of the tank, so if I need much space behind the tank etc this might be a no go - Wires would be fine, chunky filter pipes might be too big :\

Please anyone recommend me a tank! The space is 93cm x 42cm but can be any height - I want more water!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top