Upgrading Tank

crimsontsavo

Fish Herder
Joined
Aug 22, 2003
Messages
1,062
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Swamp Monger Floridian in Tennessee
The stand can hold at the largest a tank 31"L x 17"W
However high, wouldn't want more than 24". ( I prefer a shallower tank to a deep one. Easier to manage.)
I may go taller if I decide to do a waterfall, I don't know, the possibilities are endless.
Would I have to have one custom made to be this size?
I wonder if it would be reasonable priced. We have a glass center about 1/4 of a mile from the house, I'll check there when Ive saved enough lol.

I want to get a couple more peacock eels for Elvis to have buddies and then whatever other community fish (probably celestial danios as a schooling species).
If the eels make a snack out a few it's okay, I love those buggers so much I couldn't stay mad too long LOL.

I'm going to build a pretty powerful light for it as it's going to be heavilly planted. I noticed Elvis just loves creeping through the plants in his tank now.

K, here's where it gets interesting.

I want to arrange the tank so i can have not only sand (loves me sand!) but some small and lovely natural gravel/rocks/wood I collect locally.
I am a total nature nut and want it to be like you dunked your head into a creek/river and you have changing landscapes.
To seperate the sand and keep it contained I am planning on using a flexible plastic (something like you use to edge your flower beds, only shorter.)
I'm going to make it wavy so the transition from sand to gravel/rock doesn't look "fake".
Another area protected from the fish will house my 'mulm bed', this is an idea I have used many times in other tanks.
It's basically 'clean' pond scum that houses various aquatic yummies.
Ever noticed how all the fry and smallest fish in the wild live in shallow mulmy water? Yea, it's good and the fish love it.
The tank will be set up for at 'least' a month as I seed it with live foods. (some sort of true aquatic worm probably)
This will give them enough time to multiply and cut down on me feeding the fish.
To save on wieght (floor can't support a whole bunch LOL) I'll make my rocky background out of foam or something,
punching tiny holes in it to accommodate live foods. (this is an experimet, ive never had a 3-d background to try this before.)
I also want to make small ledges so plants can cling to the background, and grow up the waterfall.
If I do this, I know my husband will get into the fishy groove and I can have more tanks! LOL (yup, ulterior motives!)


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've done all of these 'techniques' with great success in the past, it's alot of fun and well worth the initial headache.
I never have to prepare special foods for my fry because the their home provides for them.
With the addition to plenty of hiding spaces my other fish can't eat many babies. lol
I have a feeling it will also keep your fish from being bored. Actually having to hunt for food takes time, and gives you a great show as well.
If you're at all DIY inclined, give this a whirl with an extra tank.
I'll write a detailed article later and post it when I can-if anyone is interested, I won't waste my time if no one cares.
I just had to get this idea out of my head and onto "paper". It's been keeping me up at night. LOL

What do yall think?
 
Hi Iam pretty new here but I think your idea is cool Iam getting a new 50 gal soon and I also was thinking of a rock wall but thats alot of weight so I was thinking you can get those rocks made out of styrafoam or something have to make sure there not toxic you know the fake kind people glue on their walls and thought I could glue these to the tank wall . I dont know if this will work just an idea. I think an article would be cool and us newbies would probably learn alot. Pat
 

Most reactions

Back
Top