Upgrading My Lighting

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SuperColey1

Planted Section
Reaction score
Only me again banging on about light improvements.

What I have decided on is that to improve my lighting I want to put a single TwinCompact T5 55W Daylight Plus lamp in the rear section of my hood (behind the ballast section) and leave the front bulb as it is T8 18W Original Tropical.

The problem is this.

The hood at the moment is a Fluval Duo series and is as you still buy: 2 tubes mounted either side of a plastic recess, which if you open the outside of the hood you can see the ballast and wiring etc. i.e. if you turn the hood upside down if it didn't have sides its side profile would be like a W, thecentre being where all the electrics are and then covered up by a clip in panel on the top of the hood.

What I want to do and this is where I get lost is turn this unit into a single 18w, which is impossible for me with my lack of any kind of electrical knowledge. This system stops working if either bulb or either starter is either not present or failing, so how do I turn it into a single ballast with a single starter for a single tube. My other option is to jam the 2 tubes in the front section but these would be mighty close together and due to the curved front of the hood. the repositions tube would be very close to the water, and if I lower the water, then the surface line is visible below the hoods bottom, which I don't particularly like.

Any ideas, I'm sure its just a case of remove this and remove that, but I wouldn't know ehere to start.

Andy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back